The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniOutliner 4 and iPad (Updated 7/23/10) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm looking forward to OO for iPad. I have OO on my Mac but since I don't take it to work with me (have a PC at work) I don't get much of a chance to use OO. I pretty much live on my iPad at work now so OO for iPad will make it possible for me to utilize it a LOT more.

As for OO4 - can't wait for the update, but will be happy to get the iPad version first.

Thanks for the update.

It has been quite frustrating having my iPad with me, but not having a copy of OmniOutliner to use on it — much more so than not having a copy of OmniPlan on it, or not having the hoped-for OO4 features on my desktop. Lately I've been lucky enough to be an OmniFocus for iPad alpha tester, and used it as an outlining stopgap, but the OO for iPad release is eagerly awaited by yours truly! Those nifty new OO4 features — I've never had them in any form, so their absence is more easily tolerated than the absence of a tool I use nearly every day from what is becoming my preferred work environment for many projects. I do recognize that a strong argument could be made that OO4 first has its merits as well, in that it would provide functionality we've never had in any environment. For me, the balance tips toward the iPad app, because I don't do many of the projects where cloning and so on would be a big help. So, I'm happy about the current ordering, and like everyone else, would like it all yesterday :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreinke View Post
I have OO on my Mac but since I don't take it to work with me (have a PC at work) I don't get much of a chance to use OO.
Have you considered running OO on your Mac remotely with VNC? Doesn't do me much good, as I'm usually out of WiFi range with my iPad, but presumably your PC at work has good connectivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Have you considered running OO on your Mac remotely with VNC? Doesn't do me much good, as I'm usually out of WiFi range with my iPad, but presumably your PC at work has good connectivity.
Actually I have thought about doing just that, before the iPad came out. I have a MacBookPro at home so I was actually thinking about getting a MacMini to run. I had stopped using OmniFocus for awhile and was using Daylite and Daylite Touch instead. I was going to run the mini as a server for Daylite, and since I was going to do that I thought about running a VNC. (I have never done it before but do like to play around and try to get things working) I gave up on Daylite though and came back to OF, glad I did. (so - running the OF iPad alpha - I'm jealous!)

I like OO but as I said, I don't use it much. I think that will change when the iPad version comes out though. I don't want to use my personal MBP at work but am just fine with the iPad there.

Couldn't you just please release a "lite" version of the app sooner?

What I'd need:
- type, enter, type, enter, type, enter - adding new lines to the given level, for making notes

(I tried to implement this with HTML5, it is deliberately impossible with the bad handling of focus(), and not having any other way to keep the keyboard on the screen)

- Displaying checkboxes by default

- Indenting with one tap, or maybe a swipe

That's all i would need on the first time. OK, formatting on a level basis would be good, maybe pasting graphics, but if that's too advanced, I don't need it. I don't need columns in the first version either.

Oh, and I'd like to export and email these to TXT and PDF. That's all.

Again, I tried to write it, but I'm reluctant to upgrade my machine to snow leo and learn objective c just because of that, and the Mobile Safari API has some limitations.

Still, most of the TODO apps (all of which I've tried) cannot understand what does it make when you just hit enters and type. That's a crucial thing.

Also a text editor is not enough; I would like to have an outliner on that iPad! :)

I don't want to wait until christmas for such an app. It should have been installed by default :)

Last edited by aadaam; 2010-08-03 at 01:56 PM..

I use OmniOutliner daily for professional, personal, and ecclesiastical idea organization and tracking. It is an indispensable tool that I am anxiously awaiting for the iPad. I love the product's flexibility, ease of use, and the typical Omni quality, elegance, and design. You guys make great software.

My one request is that OmniOutliner on the iPad be able to open and save files to cloud drives, like DropBox or MobileMe iDisk.

As an example, I much prefer Pages, Keynote, and Numbers on the iPad to QuickOffice and Documents to Go, but the fact that I can open a file on my iPad straight from my DropBox in QuickOffice/DTG, edit it, and then save that file back to the cloud drive without any synchronization or extra steps (i.e., it's the same file!!) is critical to my workflow. Unfortunately the file management through iTunes really, really cripples iWork on the iPad, despite being superior (in my opinion) products and so I'm using them less and less, waiting for Apple to incorporate those features.

Please, please, please let OmniOutliner for iPad open/save native OmniOutliner files straight to a cloud drive! The iPad is perfect for making edits and opening files on the go. And I can't wait (crossing fingers) for OmniOutliner on my Mac and the iPad!

You are finally embracing zooming (for us old geezers), so you have convinced me to migrate from NoteTaker back to OmniOutliner. Yeah, it's that important. I know it wasn't easy, so thanks much!!

Visually not what I used to be...

Jeffery

@benmackay: if you need the advantages of Pages over the it her apps (like including images), you might give the iWork beta webpage a try (which needs you to be a MobileMe member hence payable) it is less straight forward than DropBox for example but will allow editing of files in native format from within Pages/iPad and Mac (via Safari).

Hey Guys,

this morning, it was about 9 °C (about 48 °F) here in Switzerland. That feels pretty much like end of summer. So could you please release OmniOutliner for iPad just now?

OK, maybe my feeling a little chilly this morning is not that big an impact on your release schedules... and maybe even the official end of summer on September, 23rd is not that important to you. I understand that and I do appreciate your delivering priority is quality not time.

I am quite happy with my OmniFocus on the iPad (and OmniGraffle and OmniGraphSketcher), and I've been looking forward to OmniOutliner there for quite some time. Like a lot of people, I stopped carrying around my MacBook all the time and replaced it with my iPad. That works just great. And to make it even greater, I need an outliner. Currently, I'm using some product, that lets me make some outlines. And it works. But that's just it. No great user experience.

Even if I have not seen the iPad version of OmniOutliner or heard anything about it, my experience tells me that OmniOutliner for iPad will be great (for me).

As Scott Adams just recently wrote at the end of a post: I can't remember if I had a point.

Kind regards from Switzerland
Boris

P.S.: I'd appreciate any update on progress of the development .

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris.baesler View Post

Kind regards from Switzerland
Boris

P.S.: I'd appreciate any update on progress of the development .
See the first post it was updated July 23rd or read below.

Quote:
So where does this put OmniOutliner 4? Well, as we also mentioned before when we announced our iPad plans, we don't want the iPad app to delay development on OO4. So both OO iPad and OO4 are concurrently being worked on and work has never stopped on OO4. What's taking so long then? The last few months our OO4 developers have been very hard at work getting our outline view and related animations finished. This work is unfortunately taking much longer than anticipated. Due to this, our current best estimate for release is near the end of this year. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I assure you the OO4 team is hard at work and we certainly haven't abandoned or shelved the app.