The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hiding projects/single-action-lists with no due tasks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello!
I am quite new here but have been lurking around for a little while to find solutions to my customization in OmniFocus. And I have to say I really love the program.

So, My problem is this. I have a perspective for work and one for my free-time. And in there I have "focused" on different folders which contains projects and in the projects there is tasks. So in my perspectives, I've set the conditions in the view bar to only show 'Available' tasks and grouping by folder. Everything works well, but when I've finished all tasks in one 'Project', the project it self stays with no remaining tasks to be done. Is there any way to hide a project without any remaining tasks available now without 'pausing' it? Maybe I have some tasks coming in the near future inside the project so pausing and resuming all the time feels like a waste. Maybe there's a setting i've missed? Anything would be very helpful!

I've attached the view-bar of my perspective in question so you can have a look.

Thank you for your time!
Best
Gus
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-04-16 at 1.59.56 PM.png
Views:	2354
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	2349  

Just wanted to tell you that I found a solution to my problem. What I had to do was to assign a 'start date' to the project to be the same as the next available task. Then it wont be shown in my perspective until I need to see it. If there is no tasks available but I know it will arrive, I just put the project on hold.

Not sure if there is an easier way to do it (preferably automatic assign project start date to the same as the next available task?) but this works for now to keep my perspectives clutter free.

Hope this could help someone with the same question as me and if you have any better solutions don't hesitate to post them!

Best
Gus

Just a tip in case anyone stumbles across this and gets confused because it doesn't seem to work: the trick with adding start dates relies on having the sidebar filter set to show only Active projects. If it is set to show anything else, the project with a future start date will still appear in the list. The sidebar filter can be set with the View->Sidebar Filter command, or by using the view bar (View->Show View Bar to make it visible).

An interesting Applescript learning experience would be to write a script that goes through all of your projects or all of the selected projects looking for projects where the first remaining action has a (future) start date, then sets the project to have that same start date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Just a tip in case anyone stumbles across this and gets confused because it doesn't seem to work: the trick with adding start dates relies on having the sidebar filter set to show only Active projects. If it is set to show anything else, the project with a future start date will still appear in the list. The sidebar filter can be set with the View->Sidebar Filter command, or by using the view bar (View->Show View Bar to make it visible).

An interesting Applescript learning experience would be to write a script that goes through all of your projects or all of the selected projects looking for projects where the first remaining action has a (future) start date, then sets the project to have that same start date.
Yes, if its possible to do this it would be great. Though I have ZERO knowledge of Apple Scripts or even how they work, I could see the benefit of having this script doing some work for me.

I think what you would like is a view showing Active but not Stalled projects. Not possible as far as I can tell, but a good request.

One can generate a view showing all active projects which are not stalled with RobTrew's Where In OF script. Instructions for installation at http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=7453.

A search that would do the job is:
Code:
projects where ([Active] and (not [Stalled])
It's worth noting that this will generate a window where all of the matching projects are selected, but that window does not update dynamically. If you complete all of the remaining actions for a project in the window, the project will remain visible, and similarly, if you caused a project to meet the parameters of the window when it had not at the time of the window's creation, it will not be magically added.

Last edited by whpalmer4; 2012-07-17 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: Update link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gushed View Post
Though I have ZERO knowledge of Apple Scripts or even how they work, I could see the benefit of having this script doing some work for me.
The point of a learning experience is to learn something you didn't previously know :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
The point of a learning experience is to learn something you didn't previously know :-)
You are of course right and I should get some time to try this out. Its going to be a new task on my list. Thank you for your time addressing my issue and I will return here if I need any help or to post my results!

Best
Gus