The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

visualizing different types of due dates on a calendar Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Apologies in advance if this is already covered elsewhere, but I can't find it.

My projects have three different types of deadlines:
- goals (would like to have it done, but nobody but me cares if it isn't)
- extendable (consequences if I miss deadline and need to take an extension, but life goes on)
- unextendable (drop-dead deadline, if I miss it, I'm done)

I find myself wishing I could view the deadlines on a calendar AND be able to tell which are goals, which are extendable, and which are unextendable.

Is this possible with iCal? If so, tips on how to make it happen?

Thanks.

I don't have exactly those divisions, but I do have various types of dates I'm tracking on my calendar.

My main work ones are "planning deadlines" (these are deadlines for writing and research projects and are usually flexible) and "regular calendar events" (these are appointments, deadlines to editors, etc., that aren't flexible b/c they involve other people). I also have "travel planning" as well.

What I do is set up multiple iCal calendars, using different colors for each deadline, for each type of deadline. In other words, I use orange for planning deadlines and blue for regular calendar events. I also set up all 'planning deadlines' as all day events. This means that on my calendar the orange items with the highlighting all around them (b/c of all day) are planning deadlines they are flexible. The items in blue text with bullets are appointments with specific times.

I also use the Spanning Sync software to sync the calendar to Google Calendars. The software is installed on both my laptop and office machine--every time I log on the local calendar is synched to google calendar, meaning that I can work at all three places (plus iPhone or any web browser) and see my calendar.

It seems to me that you could use a similar color coding system for your various levels of importance.

I would love to see a picture of your calendar setup (or a similar one). I'm trying to take OF to scheduling, and I'm having trouble.