The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Diagram Style: Align parent to first child? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Here's the thing. I've mostly succeeded in creating a diagram style, in which the root of the hierarchy is at the left, and its children are in a column at the right. The root is connected to the children by orthogonal lines. The lines emerge from the root at the same place (middle of the right face), the vertical parts of the lines line up (appearing to be a single line), and they go into the middles of the left faces of the respective children.

I figured out how to do all of this, and I saved it as a diagram style.

Okay, but I'd like the root object to align with the top child. The first child is to the right of the root, and each succeeding one progresses to the bottom. The attached PNG shows the effect I'm looking for.

I don't see how to specify that in the style, nor how to make it stick in a document: If I align the root as I want it, then add a child in the outline, the root slides back down to the middle.

Is there a way to do this?

OmniGraffle Pro 5.1.1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Hierarchy.png
Views:	463
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	921  

Unfortunately the Graphviz layout engine just doesn't support what you're after here -- In fact, this looks a lot like a traditional tree structure layout, which we'd like to be able to add at some point in the future.