The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Default "Projects" folder? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I just installed and opened OF, and I get a default "Projects" folder. I'd like to get rid of it, as everything is going to be within this folder, so it is redundant.

I'm not sure if this folder is a real default (I don't see it in the introductory video), or I created it by accident when I imported a kGTD document in a previous build.

Anyway, I can't get rid of this folder, nor can I create anything at its same level (i.e. all the folders, projects, tasks, ... get into this "Projects" folder)

Any idea?

xavi
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavi
I just installed and opened OF, and I get a default "Projects" folder. I'd like to get rid of it, as everything is going to be within this folder, so it is redundant.
It's to distinguish projects from the inbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavi
I'm not sure if this folder is a real default (I don't see it in the introductory video), or I created it by accident when I imported a kGTD document in a previous build.
It's intentional, but it only appeared a week or two ago, hence it wasn't in any earlier videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavi
Anyway, I can't get rid of this folder, nor can I create anything at its same level (i.e. all the folders, projects, tasks, ... get into this "Projects" folder)
The inbox will appear at the same level—presumably you're not seeing that because it's empty. Add something to your inbox, and see if you like it. I don't think it's removable in the current builds.
 
I liked the divider line better. I don't quite get the point of putting everything into a mandatory folder that cannot be removed, and cannot have any siblings.
 
It's to allow you to see a grouped view of all your projects and their actions. I find it quite useful.
 
If you have a lot of projects, as I do the Projects Folder is great. It is an ideal location to click and have all your projects selected at once.

When this folder did not exist, and the pane is full of projects right to the bottom, I could not find a space anymore to click to select all projects.
 
Thanks for the replies,

Ok, now I see the point of this folder. However, as AmberV says, I'm still not 100% sure of its utility. I'll see after a heavier use of the app, I guess.

From a pure aesthetic point of view, I liked the divider line too.
 
I'm with Mario. I click on the Projects folder to show all of my projects. Though I suppose I could create my own Projects folder if one wasn't built in.
 
But--you could already do this without the container! Just click anywhere in the background of the shelf and *poof* you get a full list of all projects. This functionality was there back when we had the divider. The only real difference is that Inbox was included. That really doesn't bother me. Nine times out of the ten the Inbox is either empty, or only has a few items in it. If it does have items in it; I don't mind it being in my face a bit.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberV
But--you could already do this without the container! Just click anywhere in the background of the shelf
Mario make the point above that if you have a lot of projects and/or folders, there may not be anywhere to click in the background of the shelf.

I suggested in another thread that a third top-level entity be created to hold actions with no project assigned. The idea is that in project view, actions come in three flavors: those not yet processed (Inbox), those processed and assigned to projects (Projects folder), and those processed, but not assigned to a project (the new folder).

This would 1) expand on the logic of the existing top-level entities, 2) solve the 'single items' issue discussed at length in other threads, and 3) make ALL actions visible in planning mode for organizing, promoting an action to a project, etc.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarkley
I suggested in another thread that a third top-level entity be created to hold actions with no project assigned. The idea is that in project view, actions come in three flavors: those not yet processed (Inbox), those processed and assigned to projects (Projects folder), and those processed, but not assigned to a project (the new folder).
Sounds like a very good home for single actions. Also for a Someday/Maybe top folder.

I would, however, like to have the option to create siblings to the top-level Projects folder myself for 20 000, 30 000, 50 000 ft views to my life.
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New projects default "to be reviewed"? Liffer OmniFocus for iPad 6 2012-06-08 06:27 AM
Can I default to "Embed attachment" rather than "Create link?" eepmatt OmniFocus 1 for Mac 4 2011-03-14 07:44 AM
Completed projects' un-checked items cause bad folder "remaining" count [BUG: Fixing] hardcoreUFO OmniFocus for iPhone 7 2009-08-04 04:37 PM
Sync folder keeps reverting to default "Documents" folder chrisaceto iDisk/MobileMe/.Mac Syncing 1 2009-07-01 03:19 AM
Difference between "single actions" and "parallel" projects? jasong OmniFocus 1 for Mac 3 2007-09-08 06:57 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.