The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Getting Canvas docs into OmniGraffle Pro Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
With 10.7 looming, and the end of Rosetta, I need to export a few dozen Canvas docs into some format that I can directly, or more likely (after reading OG help and seeing the formats it reads) indirectly get into OG.

Attached are all the formats I can export out of in Canvas. I may want to throw in some additional formats for good measure.

I have Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop (both CS3).

Any suggestions on which format, and then which app to make an intermediary conversion might be me the most usable document in OG?

My first cut of formats to export into is something like this (I've asterisked the ones I think might be most relevant for getting into OG, via some intermediary app):

AI - Adobe Illustrator *
DCX (?) *
DXF - Vector Graphics (AutoCAD) *
EPSF - Encapsulated PostScript

GIF/JPEG - Web Images
or maybe just:
PNG

PSD/PDD - Photoshop *
TIFF (?)

thanks

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Canvas export formats.png
Views:	718
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1894  

I checked with the relevant OmniGraffle expert among the support ninjas - they recommend PDF as the way to go here. Hope this helps!

I was pleasantly surprised that objects (like a line, what have you) survive the move from Canvas -> PDF to OG.

Grouped objects in Canvas end up in the PDF, but don't show up in OG, so I have to ungroup everything in Canvas prior to save-as PDF.

When I select "Layers" (instead of "Entire Document"), then save to PDF, the Layers checkbox greys out, so I don't think layers are supported in save as PDF. If I save each layer separately, then use "Place Image..." into a newly-created OG layer, that seems to work.

Not ideal, but certainly better than having one giant gif or png image, for sure. Thanks.

Bob