The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fleshing out some OF Behaviors: On Hold, Project Contexts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
1) How are tasks treated when a project is given a certain context, but its tasks is given a different one? What's an effective way to use the ability to give projects, tasks, and subtasks different contexts?

2) Contexts and projects can each be placed On Hold. The confusing thing for me is trying to figure out which to use or how to apply them for the following On Hold situations:

a) a task that's dependent on another person, a Waiting For task.
b) a brain dump of Someday/Maybe items, such as attractions to visit in my home city,
c) a project I intend to do in the near future, but haven't mapped out all of the steps yet
d) a lists of tasks to perform only when an event happens. Such as Out of Town to do's (eg hold mail, check tires, unplug alarm clock, etc).

Looking for how and why others handle the above situations. If you have other on hold examples, please describe them too since I've only given a few examples I can think at the top of my head so far.

When you set the "Default Context" field of a project, you're effectively saying "most of the actions from this project will be in this Context". When you create a new action, it'll start out in that context, though you can edit the action to put it in another one whenever you want.

This extends to action groups, as well; by default, child rows inherit the context that their parent has.

Re "waiting-for" actions - some folks use on-hold contexts; other folks defer them by way of the start date field. Both approaches are summarized well in the early posts of this thread, if it helps. (It also touches on when you might want to set a whole project to "On Hold".)

That'll probably get you started - feel free to post any follow-up questions you may have and we'll be happy to help!