The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

What is the best way to view 'flagged'? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
You're correct; I focused on the Inbox issue and spaced on the inherited due dates. I've edited my post to reflect that for future readers (and noting here for anyone who has already read that). Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the correction.
You were making up for my completely disregarding the Inbox issue :-)

whpalmer4: thanks, that makes it a lot clearer for me.

When you talk about opening the group for today, do you mean:

Show actions with status: Due soon?

My filters (after selecting All Items) are -

Context/Project - Due - Due soon - Any duration - any Flag state

peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemer View Post
When you talk about opening the group for today, do you mean:
None of the above :-)

When you do a view with grouping turned on (first lozenge over the main outline is anything but "Ungrouped") you'll get your projects/actions collected into groups like "Due today" "Due tomorrow" "Due within the last month" etc. There's a little triangle next to the name that allows you to open or close the group, showing or hiding its contents. Whether a group is open or closed is one of the things stored by a perspective. This makes it possible to have a perspective that only shows the things due today (the "Due today" group is open, and the others are closed, so while you see the name of the group, you don't see the contents), for example.

Due today, tomorrow, with the next week are open, due within the next month is closed.

whpalmer4:

that's great coaching thanks :-)
I now have it working 150% better.

> When you do a view with grouping turned on (first lozenge over the main
> outline is anything but "Ungrouped") you'll get your projects/actions
> collected into groups like "Due today" "Due tomorrow" "Due within the last
> month" etc.

I only see that when lozenge1 is set to 'due'.

One of us in error - please advise :-)

peter

Quote:
whpalmer4:

that's great coaching thanks :-)
I now have it working 150% better.

> When you do a view with grouping turned on (first lozenge over the main
> outline is anything but "Ungrouped") you'll get your projects/actions
> collected into groups like "Due today" "Due tomorrow" "Due within the last
> month" etc.

I only see that when lozenge1 is set to 'due'.

One of us in error - please advise :-)

peter
You should get similar date-related groupings with Due, Start, Completed, Added, Changed, and Next Review (the last only in Project view), though they will be worded slightly differently, and you have to be careful with the Completed one to make sure you set the action selector to show you completed actions.

If you don't get anything at all, make sure that your outline view isn't scrolled down to the bottom, beyond the end of the data. There's a long-standing bug that pops up now and then where if you go from a view that is very long to one that is quite short, sometimes it leaves the window scroll control set as if you are at the bottom of the previous very long view. If the outline window doesn't have a scroll bar, this isn't your problem.

Last edited by whpalmer4; 2008-10-24 at 01:33 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
You should get similar date-related groupings with Due, Start, Completed, Added, Changed, and Next Review (the last only in Project view), though they will be worded slightly differently, and you have to be careful with the Completed one to make sure you set the action selector to show you completed actions.
Don't you mean 'Remaining' actions?

When I choose 'Start' in the first lozenge, I don't get similar date-related groupings, I'm afraid. I get a 'Start any Time' header followed by a long list of projects, some of which are date-related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
If you don't get anything at all, make sure that your outline view isn't scrolled down to the bottom, beyond the end of the data. There's a long-standing bug that pops up now and then where if you go from a view that is very long to one that is quite short, sometimes it leaves the window scroll control set as if you are at the bottom of the previous very long view. If the outline window doesn't have a scroll bar, this isn't your problem.
I start from a perspective similar to 'All Items' every time.

peter

Quote:
Don't you mean 'Remaining' actions?
Nope, I meant Completed. Here's a picture:

Notice that I'm not actually seeing any completed items, because my action selector is showing everything but completed items.

A rather more useful view, no?

Quote:
When I choose 'Start' in the first lozenge, I don't get similar date-related groupings, I'm afraid. I get a 'Start any Time' header followed by a long list of projects, some of which are date-related.
Okay, if most of your actions do not have start dates, you're going to have a humongous "Start any time" group up front. If you close that (by clicking the triangle next to "Start any time") and you have any actions which have start dates assigned, you should get some more groups.