The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tool bar search beings with "site:(null)" Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Can someone tell me how to make OW stop putting "site:(null)" at the beginning of the search string when entering into the search box in the menu bar?

The prefix mysteriously started getting automatically inserted sometime fairly recently (after I started installing the recent round of Sneaky Peeks).

If I do a Google search from Google's search page, this doesn't happen.

Probably the quickest way to fix this is to.

1.) Go to google.com
2.) Open the Shortcuts preference pane
3.) Find your google search shortcut and delete it
4.) Back on google.com right click (or control click) in the search field.
5.) Select "Add Search Shortcut" and set it up to your liking.

I think I did what troyb suggested, but it didn't solve the problem. Maybe he/she misinterpreted part of my issue or I missed some aspect of the fix.

Anyway, still, when I do a search from the "search field" in my toolbar, the resulting Google search still ends up with "site:(location of the window at the time)" as prefix to the search. So, if I open a blank window, I get "site:(null)". If I do some google search, then initiate another from the search field in the toolbar, it searches with the prefix "site:google.com".

BTW, OmniWeb-5.7, Sneaky Peek 1, Revision: 95737, but I'm pretty sure this trouble started about earlier.

What does the search field say when it does not have focus? Does it say "Google" or does it say "Search this site"?

If you click on the magnifying glass, then select google from the list, does the problem go away?

It said "Search this site"... Why didn't I notice that??

Now the solution seems obvious: I switched it to "Google" and it remembers that. All is well again. Thanks.