The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

An OmniWeb alternative for Lion? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmathes View Post
I'd be thrilled to see OmniGroup invest some resources into this app, and if they returned it to a paid app and brought it current so its performance was comparable to Chrome and I could use 1Password again, I'd pay $20 easily to use it.
I gladly paid for OmniWeb in its earlier days, when most browsers were free. And I was not alone.

When OmniWeb became free, that was the beginning of its end. Please, Omni Group, give us the opportunity to pay you for our favorite browser so that you can afford to bring it back to life.

-- Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
I gladly paid for OmniWeb in its earlier days, when most browsers were free. And I was not alone.

When OmniWeb became free, that was the beginning of its end. Please, Omni Group, give us the opportunity to pay you for our favorite browser so that you can afford to bring it back to life.

-- Ward

amen.

I paid for it, too, and would gladly do so again to get the aesthetics and the functionality brought up to current performance and 3rd party integration. No question about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
Google helped me discover SafariStand, a Safari extension that appears to offer an OmniWeb-like tab drawer and workspaces. I haven't tried it yet.
Just installed it to take a brief look. I can't really find anything that looks like a substitute for workspaces, but maybe I just haven't explored it enough yet. Maybe somebody else can fill us in here?

Apart from that I would like to put myself on the list of people who would be ready to pay for OmniWeb if this could lead to allocation of sufficient resources to keep the product up to date and have bugs fixed in acceptable time frames. Problem is that there's hardly any alternative yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbert View Post
Just installed it to take a brief look. I can't really find anything that looks like a substitute for workspaces, but maybe I just haven't explored it enough yet. Maybe somebody else can fill us in here?
Replying to myself: it seems like after a complete rewrite these features are not yet implemented (again) in the software.

Just posted about LastPass and OmniWeb under Lion in the "Recent 1Password versions no longer working on OmniWeb" thread. The combination works quite well using LastPass bookmarklets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmathes View Post
.If there's a more beautiful, function-rich browser than OmniWeb I've yet to see it.
Well there isn't a more function equipt browser than OW on any platform. Perhaps iCab is the closest i've found but it is missing many of the things we love about OW; Sidebar Tabs, Workspaces, Autofill/AutoComplete (it has autofill but not as useful as OW's) etc. iCab however, does have many advanced features that OW lacks but often implemented in a manner that is not elegant like OW. Features such as site preferences go beyond what OW offers example being able to switch plugins off per site but it's very awkward to get to. iCab's filtering is more advanced and flexible than OW. iCab offers offline mode, kiosk mode and has a download manager which I have to say has supreme functionality.

I've spoken to Alexander Clauss and requested a sidebar for Tabs, he said he is interested in the idea for the future. Since his priority (unfortunately like too many other developers) is currently iOS (iCab mobile) this may take some time. Hopefully I can persuade him to implement Workspaces as well. The situation has long since been somewhat frustrating, OW has many features iCab needs, but the implementation of such functions that iCab does have in common with OW are perplexingly weird. On the other hand iCab has many functions I wished OW would implement but that is beyond reality now. The only hope I see is for OW users to convince Alexander to work on bringing OW features and implementations to iCab on the basis that OW users would shift to using iCab.

Last edited by Drayon; 2012-03-11 at 05:26 PM..

If I leave OmniWeb for another browser, the only reason will be to continue having 1Password in my browser. The only browsers for 10.7 and beyond are Safari, Firefox and Chrome.

iCab without 1Password is not attractive. Here's the official word from Agile: browser plugins - support for iCab

I've been perplexed about the usefulness of 1Password for years. Besides providing a portable database between platforms Mac/Windows, what exactly is it that 1Password does that OmniWeb doesn't already do?

For me OmniWeb will AutoFill any and every login username/password website in the Keychain. OmniWeb also saves ALL submitted forms for AutoFill. Additionally, OmniWeb always saves ALL form text and remembers up to 5000 phrases which it then uses for automatically completing any form on any site. This goes way beyond the capabilities of 1Password since the last time I tried is, some years ago.

So really the only thing I can think of that 1Password is useful for is having a portable database which could be used on a crappy Windows/Firefox machine for those dreadful circumstances where no Mac is available. I do understand the importance of this particular point. I've been in this situation as well where it could have been useful. However, I'd never trust any Windows machine (especially ones at a workplace that are monitored) to perform anything financially that required any level of security such as online banking, logging in to PayPal, Ebay or paying for anything else online for that matter. For logging into forums I have no concern but Windows and browsers, thats a big no no for me.

Keychain obviously is problematic in this situation but the last time I checked I couldn't get my Keychain data into 1Password for a start so that made it practically useless. Not to mention missing AutoComplete function like OW's and the awkwardness of the 'hack-in' approach 1Password used. Now I see 1Password as less useful due it dropping support for major browsers that we use.

What is missing?

Last edited by Drayon; 2012-03-12 at 07:57 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayon View Post
I've been perplexed about the usefulness of 1Password for years. ... What is missing?
  • Easy login save and recall
  • Multiple logins for sites, e.g., my work identity, my personal identify, my wife, my daughter, client A, client B, ...
  • Saving stock answers for forms, with fill-in & submit or just fill-in and complete manually, e.g., Apple Feedback forms
  • Single password database on my Mac Pro, MacBook, iPhone & iPad
  • Elegant password database view & edit, far superior to Keychain Access

• Secure and convenient storage of files in that same package.
  • Key-logger-resistant password entry.
  • Password generation and tracking.
  • 1PasswordAnywhere for convenient use on other computers.
  • Dropbox syncing.
  • Tagging and categorization of items, including smart folders.
  • Access from Services menu.