The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Upgrade to v 2 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm really interested in buying omnigraffle, though it is really expensive. Now that omnigraffle doesn't seem to be too far from a major update to v 2, I'm concerned about paying now and having to pay later for that update.
I'm sorry to ask this, but I already own a few products from omni, which I love, and would hardly be able to justify paying double for omnigraffle.
Hope you can help
What makes you think OmniGraffle is near to a major (paid) upgrade? The version number asymptotically approaching 2.0? Fear not, OmniFocus for iPhone is at 1.15—the numbers on the right of the decimal point are independent of the numbers to the left, and are not a decimal fraction as the format suggests. Previous revisions included 1.14.2 and 1.14.1.

Also, and perhaps even more compelling, Omni has yet to release a paid upgrade for any of its iOS apps, one of which (OmniFocus for iPhone) has been in the field much longer than OmniGraffle, with continuing development all along. That's not to say they won't ever do a paid upgrade, but Omni's history has shown that they come infrequently and include substantial change. We just got a reworking of the drawing tools in OmniGraffle as a free update, which seems like an unlikely thing to ship if you've got a major release coming up. They'll need an impressive list of features to justify repurchasing the app (or some headache with in-app purchases), so coupling that with most of their effort being focused elsewhere, I'll predict that this time next year, the OmniGraffle for iPad version number will still be 1.<something>. If you have a need for the tool, $1/week should be easily swallowed, and who's to say that even if the next major release comes out a year from now that it will offer compelling value for you to upgrade? The current version won't suddenly stop working.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OO4 upgrade? xoanohn OmniOutliner 3 for Mac 1 2013-02-04 06:19 PM
OO4 Upgrade? NatHarari OmniOutliner 3 for Mac 1 2011-06-14 06:59 AM
Upgrade to pro now, or wait oblomow OmniGraffle General 17 2009-09-15 08:15 AM
Upgrade Again to Get Best Price on 5? dougray OmniGraffle General 0 2008-02-01 07:58 PM
Upgrade to 3.6.2 jsiddiqui OmniOutliner 3 for Mac 3 2007-08-19 02:31 AM

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.