The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Midpoint (not obvious and help is no help) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
How do you add midpoints to pre-existing lines. For instance, if you have a straight connecting line and want to change it to a curved one. I change the setting from straight to curved, but then I'm unable to add a midpoint. I've tried shift clicking, command clicking on the line, control clicking on the line. Is this possible?

Thanks

Option+Click

(Looks like the only one you didn't try)

From the Help (buried)

Editing points

"The default way to add points to a line is to Option-double-click the line, but this can be changed in the General preferences."

the fact that it's option *DOUBLE* click is what drove me bonkers.

Omni folks, if you are reading this, "add midpoint" should be an item on the context menu when you have a line selected. Or at least on some menu somewhere!

OMG... yeah, that little nugget just caused me 20 minutes of my life. Never thought to try double click. There needs to be a midpoint insertion tool in the toolbar. And minimally, a few word of instruction in the help pages.

Agreed on this one. I have no idea why "Remove midpoints" is so emphasized everywhere (tool palettes, menus, Help) while adding them gets such short shrift. Especially as usually when drawing a curved line you end up wanting to add them to "fine tune" the path of the line.

Last edited by ABR; 2007-04-05 at 07:10 AM..

I just spent 20 minutes figuring this out. It could be a touch more obvious.

Fwiw, it is right there in the General preferences:

Though that is too wordy and, as it is called Line Label Creation, not immediately obvious. However, while we're on the subject, you can also invert the way labels and points are created as shown in the above screen shot.

To be honest, this has annoyed me for a long time too (I can never remember which key to hold down while double-clicking). But for OG 4.2 we finally got around to adding it to the context menu. Your wish is our command! (or is it our option?)

Last edited by Wim Lewis; 2007-04-15 at 02:04 AM..