The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraphSketcher > OmniGraphSketcher General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Measuring Area under the curve or in the shaded region Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Does OGS have the ability to measure the area under a curve or of a particular shaded region?

If not, I will be sure to email this in as a feature request. This would easily be a #1 feature for engineers such as myself.

Hey dude,

We've got a feature request open in the development database for this, and I'll add your vote!

How I use the current version of OmniGraphSketcher to estimate areas under a graph from files displayed on my screen.

1.Open Sketcher

2.Display the graph whose area is to be estimated (one can chose graphs of probability density functions as shown in Wikipedia for a test of this method as the areas under the density functions should sum to 1.0.

3. Make Sketcher semi-transparent (inspector- canvas sheet option).

4. Align the max y value on the graph with the max y value in Sketcher

5. Drag Sketcher window size so origins of graph and max x values align The axes of the two graphs will now align.

6. Change the Sketcher units to match those of the graph being analyzed by resetting x and y max values in Sketcher.

7. Switch Sketcher to draw mode and construct a line in Sketcher matching that on the graph

8. Copy the x and y values from the Sketcher Data Inspector and paste into a previously constructed spreadsheet. arranged as follows;
Col 1 - Pasted x Values
Col 2 - Pasted y Values
Col 3 - average of adjacent y values
Col 4 - difference of x values associated with corresponding y values.
Col 5 - product of Cols 3 and 4.
I sort the spreadsheet in ascending order of the x values (Col 1). This can be important if any of the x values was not recorded in ascending order. The sum of Col 5 Values is the estimated area under the curve.