The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

New user, questions about use Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi, I am a new user of OmniFocus. I've used a few other similar apps like iGTD and Things. I think this app has a lot of potential. But I have a workflow issue am wondering if I am just using it wrong. If not, I just don't think this app is for me.

I've noticed that when I create new "tasks" in the Inbox, that I have to set a project and a context before they leave the inbox. I find this takes more time than is necessary. Do I really have to provide that much information just to get something to appear in my contexts or Library?

For example, let's say I remember to "get milk at the store". If I create that and then set only the context to Errands, it won't appear under Errands. This is really silly. Do I really have to choose a project too? And what sort of project would I create for simple errands? I have projects like "Big Proposal" or "Computer Rebuild Project". I just don't see how "get milk at the store" belongs in a project.

Secondly, if I remember a task at work "send proposal", create it and set the project to "Major client project", but don't set a context the task will appear in my Library under "Major project" but will be grayed out. Again, do I really have to set a context before being able to interact with it?

I understand the benefits of setting both, but really aren't you just forcing a few more steps just to record this additional meta data (that may not always be useful)? Yes, many times I will be willing to record 3 pieces of data about each task, but there are times when I really only want to record 1 or 2 pieces of data. My whole idea of using an app like this is for it to be quick and useful, going through these extra steps makes it more burdensome than it's worth.

Finally, even if I do set all 3 pieces of information in the Inbox, do I really have to click "Clean Up" to these tasks to go the correct location?

All of this seems like a lot of unnecessary steps to capture and interact with my tasks. Also, I could completely be doing this wrong.

I would appreciate any comments or assistance.

Last edited by jsteven; 2008-03-15 at 12:11 PM..

A couple of quick replies, because that's all I have time for:

1. You can specify in preferences that items in the Inbox can be cleaned up if only a context or only a project is specified; you don't need both if you don't want both. If you specify only context, you need to set a default single action context (i.e., a container for miscellaneous actions that are not part of a larger project).

2. You can specify in preferences that Quick Entry items go straight into the relevant project without going through the Inbox.

3. OmniFocus is based on the GTD productivity system, which means that an action is not available to be done unless it has been assigned to a context (a place or set of tools that are required to do it). That means that an action won't appear in a context until you give it one. However, it will appear in the "No context" section in Context Mode, and it will appear in the appropriate place in planning mode. As long as you show Remaining Actions in planning mode, you can interact with an action there even if you have not assigned a context. You can do it and check it off if you like. However, if you want to get the full benefit of OmniFocus, I suggest reading David Allen's Getting Things Done, perusing these forums further, or checking out Merlin Mann's 43 Folders blog.

Thanks, this is very helpful!

When processing your in-box (as opposed to filling it) and once you have gotten to the point where you know that an item is actionable, a conscious decsion needs to made regarding the nature of the item. Is it a project or is it a single action? Therefore, OF really is not asking you to do something out of the ordinary from a GTD perspective. You have setup a single-action list, yes? Having a top level single-action list would help you implement Brian's suggestion #2 for tasks that are not project related.

Re: Clean Up - - It is the lesser of the data entry evils. Make liberal use of Command-K if you don't need the safety net that Clean Up provides.