The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

contexts and projects in quicksilver catalog? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Wouldn't it be cool to be able to add OmniFocus content to the Quicksilver catalog? I would love to be able to do things like this within Quicksilver:

[@calls] > [View Available Actions in OmniFocus]

[build bookshelves] > [View Focused Project in OmniFocus]

[homeowner] > [View Focused Folder in OmniFocus]

[@agenda-John] > [Append to...] > [NotesForJohnMeeting.txt]

or even browse lists within Quicksilver. (I'm thinking of how QS can interact with the iTunes library.)

A simpler but also helpful feature would be to have Perspectives (once they're working more fully) available to the Quicksilver catalog. But I really like the idea of dynamic interaction with Projects and Contexts that wouldn't require any set-up.

Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Wouldn't it be cool to be able to add OmniFocus content to the Quicksilver catalog?...

A simpler but also helpful feature would be to have Perspectives (once they're working more fully) available to the Quicksilver catalog. But I really like the idea of dynamic interaction with Projects and Contexts that wouldn't require any set-up.

Thoughts?
Yes! I would love to be able to drill down into OF data with Quicksilver. I don't know how Quicksilver plug-ins are coded. Is this functionality something that Omni would have to provide (or provide an API for)? Or could an interested third party build such a plug-in? Investigating how to do this has been on my pending projects list for awhile, but is unlikely to bubble to the top until next summer.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Yes! I would love to be able to drill down into OF data with Quicksilver. I don't know how Quicksilver plug-ins are coded. Is this functionality something that Omni would have to provide (or provide an API for)? Or could an interested third party build such a plug-in?
I don't know, that's exactly what I was wondering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Investigating how to do this has been on my pending projects list for awhile, but is unlikely to bubble to the top until next summer.
Next summer?! Personally, I think Omni should see you as the next Ethan, move you to Seattle, and set Quicksilver integration as your priority project. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Next summer?!
The school year starts Thursday and I'll be wholly devoted to working with my students until May.

Quote:
Personally, I think Omni should see you as the next Ethan, move you to Seattle, and set Quicksilver integration as your priority project. :-)
Heh. Kind words. Maybe they'll let me do a sabbatical visit in a couple of years.

Curt

Thought I'd give this thread a bump, because...

...now that the app (esp. perspectives) is more solidified, Omni folk might be persuaded to incorporate more complete Quicksilver interaction, or

...there might now be forum visitors who would know how Quicksilver plugins are coded, and what would be the next step to gaining that interaction.

Quote:
A simpler but also helpful feature would be to have Perspectives (once they're working more fully) available to the Quicksilver catalog.
Thought I'd resurrect this thread just to note something I just figured out: now that Perspectives are saved as files, they are accessible via Quicksilver. Just add ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/Perspectives to the QS catalog.

(I still dream of the closer integration I described above, though...)

I really want to ramp up my use of QS, given the productivity I've seen from Mail Act-On in my email, I think QS can do that for my other activities. When I saw the append function in QS, my first thought was appending actions to projects, notes to actions, etc. in OmniFocus.

Integration here just makes a ton of sense. The key will be for folks at Omni to give QS a real try and see if it helps them. If it does, integration with OmniFocus will be a natural.

While some additional QS integration might be nice, I suspect Omni isn't going to spend much, if any, effort in that direction unless it is a popular feature request (use Help->Send Feedback to send your official request, posting to the forum doesn't count), and the questions about QS's future are answered (like, will it have one!) I just cross my fingers every time I do an OS update that QS will still work when the dust settles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
While some additional QS integration might be nice, I suspect Omni isn't going to spend much, if any, effort in that direction unless it is a popular feature request (use Help->Send Feedback to send your official request, posting to the forum doesn't count), and the questions about QS's future are answered (like, will it have one!) I just cross my fingers every time I do an OS update that QS will still work when the dust settles!
bumping it up
I just sent a feature request to the kind folks @ the Omni Group.

If you would like that feature as well, send a feature request :-)

I've found a workaround.
It's tideous, but it works:

write an apple-script for all your perspectives as seen here:
http://heres-the-thing.posterous.com...orkflow-tweaks

Code:
    tell application "OmniFocus"

activate

end tell

tell application "OmniFocus"

tell default document

tell front document window

set perspective name to "Flagged"

end tell

end tell

end tell
Save all scripts in one Folder, give every applescript the name of your perspective.

Add a Quicksilver trigger:
item: the folder with your perspective applescripts
action: "Inhalt durchsuchen" in german, should be something like "search contents" in english.
target: empty

now if you invoke the trigger, you just have to start typing the name of your applescript (=perspective), hit enter and you're done :-)