The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Omniplan, Omnifocus, Daylight, others? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm trying to find a product that meets the needs of a small consulting business. There are 3 major ways of organizing our tasks:
1. To-do lists (omnifocus)
2. Scheduling (omniplan)
3. Appointments (iCal)

To-do lists are the primary method. But we need something that will automatically update a scheduling chart as we add tasks, as well as mirror it in iCal, keeping the calender up to date with scheduling and to-do roll-overs.

Currently I use omnifocus for my list of projects and tasks. But when a client calls, I have no realistic means of telling them when I can do the work, because all I have is a big list. I don't need the extra complexity of looking at a gantt chart all of the time, but I do need it in reviews or scheduling concerns. Also, I'd like to see todays tasks mirrored in a calender view, so I don't have to look in 2 or 3 different places what I need to do today.

While I like the general omnifocus idea, I find context isn't relevant for organizing more than 30% of my tasks, what I'd like to see in addition to context views, is timeline views, scheduling views, daily priority views, and iCal mirroring.

Anyone know of such an application?

I have been experiencing almost the exact same issues. I actually downloaded the Omniplan trial yesterday to start checking it out. I need the scheduling view and information, but love OmniFocus for the capture and organization of tasks.

As sad as it is to say, Entourage has a project view that gives me access to emails, tasks, files, notes and a filtered calendar view. It isn't scheduling and it barely feels like it is Mac software - but I am almost leaning to start using it so I can have a unified look at all the details and content pertaining to a certain project.

I would love to hear what is out there...

sounds like Daylite from marketcircle might help you . www.marketcircle.com you can still share tasks with omni focus through ical syncing , both apps sync with ical .

I use QuickBase (www.quickbase.com) which integrates tasks, scheduling, budgets, etc. for my small consulting firm. So far it does everything I need it to do and more. Check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad1978 View Post
I use QuickBase (www.quickbase.com) which integrates tasks, scheduling, budgets, etc. for my small consulting firm. So far it does everything I need it to do and more. Check it out.
Holy Mackerel. $250 a month? That's steep for a one man shop.

Otherwise, it does look very, very cool.