The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Column Resizing Behavior is Non-Standard Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I love it too.

Omni, any chance you could release the code to this for other devs to use?

Amorya

What I don't understand is what this has to do with horizontal scrollbars. I can't, as far as I can tell, get a horizontal scrollbar in Mail.app, and it doesn't exhibit this weird resizing behavior.

Yeah, well, if you do it Mail.app it just hides your columns. You can scroll horizontally to see them, but there's no indication that they're actually there.

If it's a choice between THAT behavior and OF's behavior, I'll take OF's.

prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prater View Post
Yeah, well, if you do it Mail.app it just hides your columns. You can scroll horizontally to see them, but there's no indication that they're actually there.
Perhaps on Tiger, but on leopard there is a "minimum" column width. There is no way to hide a column by shrinking the window, never a horizontal scrollbar. Columns grow and shrink proportionately to the window size.

I'd say Mail.app (at least in Leopard) is EXACTLY how column resizing should be done.

-P

As the owner of a 24" monitor, I'll vote for OF's current behavior. :-)

But seriously, I like it a lot, now that I'm used to it.

I can't stand the current behavior. I'm go back and forth between two very different displays, one 20" display at work and the built-in 15" MacBook Pro display at home. Thus the window size I need for OmniFocus varies a lot from use to use. Resizing this window and the various columns is driving me crazy. Please separate the resizing of columns from the resizing of windows, as most apps do. Or perhaps include a preference so users can choose the resizing behavior.

Thanks.

Another 24-incher who likes it.

What _is_ driving me crazy is the way Start, Due, and Time columns disappear on me in the latest build.

another vote against. Its disconcerting to have non-standard column behaviors. If it was an apple standard, we'd all get used to it, but OF is only one app amongst many I use during the day.

Vote against. Non-standard. At the very least, provide a preference setting.

What I hate about the standard HIG Apple way of doing things is not only that you need to do two steps to adjust a column (adjust the column and then the window), but you can't get the window perfectly adjusted. You always seem to have to make it a few pixels too wide to get the horizontal scroll bar to disappear. Being a neatness freak, I hate that sliver of unwanted space there!

I think this forum has a large percentage of interface geeks in it who pride themselves at noticing this stuff and exhibiting their superiority by complaining about it -- the sort who spaz out at the semitransparent Leopard menu bar.

Your average users like the current behavior, I think.

While you're at it, can you stop using those stupid HIG standard Apple font and color palettes in other Omni products, and just put them in the inspectors where they belong?

Last edited by Frosty Crunch; 2008-01-23 at 03:28 AM..