The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Allow OmniFocus to Sync to work computer Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This may be a good option for syncing the data to work.
http://www.markspace.com/synctogether.php

I think you would need to make OmniFocus compatable with sync services.

Sadly, it seems to require that the computers are on the same LAN, "It's easy to set up and use across a local area network"

If I have my laptop with me, sure. But if I want to sync between my desktop at home and at work... maybe some VPN tricksies could make the discovery work or maybe their software really does work across wider networks.

Yes, please comment on how OmniFocus will sync with other instances of itself and with other software and devices.

Also, as I brought up in detail in another thread, are there any plans to support some sort of web-based or other platform-neutral means of accessing data? To be a truly trusted system, I must know that I can at least view my data anywhere.

Synchronization will be automatic, but at the same level as Kinkless. For 1.0, we will synchronize with other devices (Palm, phone) by going through iCal. There will be no built-in support for synchronizing computers, but we will include support for storing the database on a thumb drive or remote file server.

We understand your desire to access the information anywhere at anytime. At Omni, we not only develop the application, but we use it and have the same desire. We're trying to make it as painless as possible :)

Since you can sync the file, would it be possible to tag the items you would like others in a workgroup to have, make a smart folder to retreive those items, and have the other workgroup members just import the items collected by the smart folder?

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood
Sadly, it seems to require that the computers are on the same LAN, "It's easy to set up and use across a local area network"

If I have my laptop with me, sure. But if I want to sync between my desktop at home and at work... maybe some VPN tricksies could make the discovery work or maybe their software really does work across wider networks.
Hmm... I was assuming it could sync to an external web server, and then my work could sync to that computer.

Local Area Network (LAN) connection between shared Macs OR for remote syncs the user must know the physical IP address of all the computers being synchronized and have Internet access.

Support for IP and name addressing
If you can ping a Mac, then SyncTogether can sync with it.

Password protection and data transfer encryption
A password must be provided before a Mac can join a SyncTogether group. Data is transmitted securely with SSL encryption, so it stays safe.

http://www.markspace.com/synctogether_features.html
Information from other applications
SyncTogether can synchronize certain types of information belonging to third-party applications that also support Sync Services. SyncTogether currently supports Bare Bones Software Yojimbo; Chronos SOHO Contacts and Calendar; Llamagraphics LifeBalance; Microsoft Entourage 2004; Panic Transmit and others. As more applications employ Sync Services, SyncTogether will handle more types of information.

Looks like more research is in order.

I use a laptop @ work and a desktop @ home (and sometimes a 2nd laptop). I make extensive use of .Mac sync services to keep the machine as similar as possible. I even keep NetNewsWire sync'd via .Mac.

OmniFocus would be infinitely more useful for me (I've only had it for two days now and I can see how I won't be able to give it up) if I can keep the database sync'd between my various machines.

So, add my vote for .Mac syncing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle
Synchronization will be automatic, but at the same level as Kinkless. For 1.0, we will synchronize with other devices (Palm, phone) by going through iCal. There will be no built-in support for synchronizing computers, but we will include support for storing the database on a thumb drive or remote file server.
Since I am not an alpha tester, it is not clear if the database is composed of one file or several (or many) related files. If the former, then it is very easy to manually sync the file. However, if there are multiple files, can we configure OF to use a dedicated folder for all the files that compose the database? If so, then we are in good shape to help ourselves with the sync issue - ChronoSync FTW!

Also, while it may be pie-in-the-sky type stuff, has Omni given any thought to scaling OF (and OP!) for workgroup use? If so, please consider the needs of workgroups that are scattered across the Internet; and, to a lesser extent, the needs of workgroups that will have non-Mac group members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yucca
Since I am not an alpha tester, it is not clear if the database is composed of one file or several (or many) related files.
The database is composed of several files in a package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood

I synchronize remote computers. This requires enabling this on one side, and specifying the ip address on the other side (no Bonjour magic). But it works great after this setup.