The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

View Filter Needed (Due Within) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I often have a desire to see only actions for projects that are due within a certain timeframe. Unfortunately, I don't see any way to filter on due date. You can group by due date, but you can't filter by due date. Am I overlooking something? If not, is there any chance this feature will be added at some point?

-Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotster View Post
I often have a desire to see only actions for projects that are due within a certain timeframe. Unfortunately, I don't see any way to filter on due date. You can group by due date, but you can't filter by due date. Am I overlooking something? If not, is there any chance this feature will be added at some point?
Okay, I just noticed this thread. It does pretty much what I want, although it would be nice to be able to specify the timeframe as well as to filter by due date when in project mode.

-Steve

Last edited by Shotster; 2008-08-26 at 11:14 AM..

Okay, I've fiddled some, and I still can't do EXACTLY what I want. I really want to group by context but filter by due date, but there is no due date filter.

I actually find the view UI somewhat perplexing. Since there are three view related parameters over which the user has control -- grouping, sorting, and filtering -- wouldn't it be simpler to have just those three at the top of the window as drop-down menus?

-Steve

Quote:
Since there are three view related parameters over which the user has control -- grouping, sorting, and filtering -- wouldn't it be simpler to have just those three at the top of the window as drop-down menus?
I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to here... The grouping/sorting/filtering menus are available at the top of the window as drop-down menus, as long as you've enabled the "View Bar" (done by either pressing the "View" button in the top-right corner or selecting View, Show View Bar).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh View Post
I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to here... The grouping/sorting/filtering menus are available at the top of the window as drop-down menus...
There is currently one item in the view bar that controls the view of projects and five items that control the view of actions. Of the five that control the actions view, the first controls grouping, the second controls sort order, and the last three are filters.

First of all, I'd like to group, sort, and filter projects as well as actions. Secondly, it would make more sense to me to simply have three controls instead of five - group, sort, and filter. I might want to filter on something other than flag state, duration, and status. Perhaps drop-down menus are not the best interface for defining the view. The UI might need to be redesigned somewhat in order to accommodate defining filters, but it seems to be a simpler and more logical approach to me. (It would also be nice to be able to specify a secondary sort order.)

-Steve

Last edited by Shotster; 2008-09-03 at 02:02 PM..

It sounds like were getting into the territory of smart folders here. According to earlier postings on this forum, the Omni Group did, indeed, consider smart folders in the early days of OmniFocus, but ultimately opted for the view bar and perspectives.

I think both have their advantages and disadvantages. Fortunately, Ken has stated that Omni Group is already planning on adding smart folders in a future release. But I'm not sure if they'll be added in addition to the view bar and perspectives or as a replacement.

-Dennis

As always, if there are changes you want to see, the best channel for getting them is by sending feedback with Help->Send Feedback, which will be logged in Omni's development database and considered when scheduling future development. Stirring up the masses on the forums is helpful if you can get others to send in similar "votes" but not if they don't do so.

There has been some talk of a future UI overhaul. Not clear if anyone has any substantive idea about what that means beyond "we should figure out a way to make this even better".