The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Humble Supplication: General Timeframe? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm sure everyone at Omni is more than tired of expectant beta testers e-mailing themselves silly about when they'll get their "golden e-mail."

Perhaps it might help some of us less than patient folks if we had an idea what the general timeframe for the alpha/beta program was. E.g. "get everyone on the list an alpha within 2 months" versus "get everyone on the list an alpha within 5 days."

Thanks for developing so many great apps that lead to Rabid End-User Syndrome (RES).

--Matt

I'm just a lowly engineer, but based on the commit message I saw about adding new alpha-testers:

Quote:
There were 1684 lines of changes, so I'm not showing them.
I'd reckon its closer to the "5 days" than the "2 months".

It's hard to predict when we'll have everyone added to the list, because it's not an "add X people per day until we hit the end of the list" process. We want to get as much feedback from you guys as possible, but we don't want to totally swamp our process. (We've made this mistake with some of our past project releases, so we're speaking from experience here.)

If there's more email coming in than the support ninjas can get into our bug tracking database, it doesn't help us improve the app. If there are more bugs going into our bug tracking database than the project manager and engineering team lead can do triage on, then that doesn't do anyone any good, either.

In the situations I described above, customers are more likely to be encountering and reporting problems that we already know about. Part of the reason we wouldn't have them fixed yet would be because we're triaging all those bugs that came in. The poor beta testers are finding stuff, but it's not the stuff we really need them to find.

I know it's hard to wait for your invite, but things are cranking along really well. We're getting good bugs, we're filing stuff, the coders are fixing stuff. We're adding folks as quickly as we can, but we don't know exactly when we'll have everyone invited.

If it helps, just think of all the releases we do before you get your invite as the "really buggy early betas". ;-)

Signed up March 6; got my invite today.