The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Displaying Only Actions With Due Dates Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello, and thanks in advance for any assistance...

I am probably missing something very obvious, but I would like to create a perspective that shows only actions that have a due date. None of the viewbar selections seem to sort actions this way, in either Contexts or Project view.

I see where I can sort "Projects" by "Due" but this just creates a view containing the complete project, which might include lots of actions without due dates, in addition to the one action that does have a due date.

I think what I'm trying to do is reasonably obvious, namely, create a view that just lists actions that are due today, for example. So I'm assuming that this use case has been handled. I just can't figure out how to implement it.

Thanks,
Michael

Go to context view. Group by due. Sort by due. Remaining actions. Close the group that has no due date. Note that this will also capture tasks that have no due date explicitly set but "inherit" one from the project. I don't know how you can only show the tasks that have a due date explicitly set on the task.

If you want just today's tasks, close all the groups except the one for today.

Last edited by whpalmer4; 2008-07-18 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: expanding answer

In a previous thread, I mentioned a way that I accomplish what your asking in a law office setting:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=8416

Essentially, sometimes I use contexts as super-tags where I define contexts in terms of what task I am performing for the client. Thus, in the context view, I can sort by context and get a report of all of the hard due dates that are typical in my practice. I still use contexts in my personal life in the more traditional GTD fashion, but for managing my docket, expanding the use of contexts has allowed me to get the type of report you are looking for.

Incidentally, the next version of OF will have a metadata field that will allow more flexibility to narrow search results by action.

Thank you, perfect. Not sure how I didn't work that out for myself, so thank you very much.

Thank you very much. I have been experimenting myself with expanding the "sense" of contexts beyond the GTD definition--glad to have a partner in crime, and an attorney at that!