The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Menu Bar Icon - Clicking Opens Up 2nd Instance of OF?? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have the "show due items" icon active in the Menu bar. When I click it and then select a context, it opens a new instance of OF rather than just bringing up my selection in OF already open.

First, is it supposed to work this way? And if it is, why? I use the Menu icon frequently now that I've discovered it and can easily end up with 3 or 4 OF windows open!

Thanks,
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctheriot View Post
I have the "show due items" icon active in the Menu bar. When I click it and then select a context, it opens a new instance of OF rather than just bringing up my selection in OF already open.
By "new instance", I assume you mean a new window, not a new instance of the application. There should still be only one OmniFocus process running (you can check with /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor).

Anyway, yes, that is the expected behavior. I think the idea is that opening a context from the Dock contextual menu or from the menu bar should not mess up your view of the current OmniFocus window, so a new window is opened.

I actually really like this behavior. I often have my main window focused on a particular folder in planning mode or a specific group of contexts selected in context mode. It would be really annoying to lose those settings every time I wanted to quickly check a different context by selecting something from the Dock menu or the menu bar.

When I'm done with the second window, I just hit Command-W to close it, leaving only my main window open.

If it's still a problem for you, maybe open a feature request to add a preference setting to control whether those contexts open in a new window or not? Go to Help->Send Feedback in the menu bar to make an official request.

Last edited by Toadling; 2008-04-24 at 09:43 AM..

Ok, this makes sense - it's just opening up a window of the same data base. I'm good with that!

Mark