The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How about automatic self-updates...? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
hello. thanks again for implementing this functionality. however, there seems to be a slight hitch:

for simplicity, say i launch build 100, but in the meantime, the omnigods have posted five updates, bringing us up to build 105. when i'm notified of an update and i approve it, instead of installing build 105, the mechanism installs build *101*, which, when launched, notifies me (again) that there's an update. so then, build 102 is installed. and so on, and so on....

i literally just had to install 5 updates in a row (3 early this morning, and 2 this afternoon).

would it be possible to configure the system to always install the latest available update? :-)

soundsgoodtome: (and others) It looks like we fixed this in r89884, though of course, you'll have to download that one and then wait a few more builds to see the fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
soundsgoodtome: (and others) It looks like we fixed this in r89884, though of course, you'll have to download that one and then wait a few more builds to see the fix.
Doesn't appear to me to be fixed! I have had the same problem as Ward since 8/11 and build 89950. Have sent feedback twice - not fixed!

I just started updating from 89969. Auto-update stated 90042 was the latest. When I updated I got 89972 with auto-update. When I updated again, I got 89977 but it would not update automatically. Had to update manually. Then I got 89982 auto-update OK. Then it tried to download 90005 but has hung up 3 times. I seem to be stuck now since 90005 will not download.

I am running 10.4.10 and have had no problems until auto-update started. Where do I go from here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpvanwormer View Post
Doesn't appear to me to be fixed! I have had the same problem as Ward since 8/11 and build 89950. Have sent feedback twice - not fixed!

I just started updating from 89969. Auto-update stated 90042 was the latest. When I updated I got 89972 with auto-update. When I updated again, I got 89977 but it would not update automatically. Had to update manually. Then I got 89982 auto-update OK. Then it tried to download 90005 but has hung up 3 times. I seem to be stuck now since 90005 will not download.

I am running 10.4.10 and have had no problems until auto-update started. Where do I go from here?
Go to the usual sneaky peak website and try to download and install manually.

And remember, it's alpha testing. You will need to figure out how to work around some issues and you can't expect bug fixes immediately. If that's your expectation, you haven't understood the disclaimers.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpvanwormer View Post
... Then it tried to download 90005 but has hung up 3 times. I seem to be stuck now since 90005 will not download.
90042 downloaded and seems to be running fine.

I resubscribed to the OmniFocus alpha appcast feed in case I fall more than one posted release behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Go to the usual sneaky peak website and try to download and install manually.

And remember, it's alpha testing. You will need to figure out how to work around some issues and you can't expect bug fixes immediately. If that's your expectation, you haven't understood the disclaimers.
My expectation is that I should be spending my time testing the actual OF app, not the auto-update code!

As I recall, Ken Case wrote something to the effect of: "We don't want to slow down progress on our core features, so automatic updates end up on the back burner" - that has been my expectation also. But, since auto-update came out, there has been a lot of traffic and effort by lots of people just trying to keep up with the updates. Too bad that his fear was what has happened. All the time spent by Omni folk on diagnosing and fixing the auto-update is time not spent on fixing bugs to the core code and adding new features to the core code.

You might be interested in a script that I wrote that will do this.

Requires minimal configuration (you have to put in your username and password once, and agree that it's a use at your own risk program)

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=4258

I use it just about daily to make sure that I have the latest version of OF, and when they change the format of the RSS feed or where the version number is stored, I generally update the script that day (unless I happen to be offline or some weird thing :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luomat View Post
You might be interested in a script that I wrote that will do this ....
This script is great. It's what I use to keep my OF install up-to-date. I test Omni's auto-update code every couple of days and submit feedback about what's broken. But like other features of alpha software, I don't rely on the parts that don't work. That's easy to do with non-core features like auto-update, especially with Tim's excellent script.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
My sincere apologies. A portion of the problem was addressed in that build, but more work remains. And technically, yes, this is delaying Focus, but as Ken pointed out in another thread, it had to delay one of our apps sooner or later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case
So, umm, I know what I said last week, but...

We ended up deciding that it's never convenient in any development cycle to improve the software update functionality, which is why some of the ideas we've had (like displaying release notes, indicating whether an update costs money, and what else…—oh, that's right, auto-updating) have been sitting on the back burner since 2002. So we bit the bullet and went ahead and did it.

Enjoy!

thanks, guys. we appreciate your hard work...