The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Filtering Today's Tasks By Context Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm using OmniFocus 2 for iPhone only.

My problem is, how do I filter today's tasks so that at work (between 9 am - 6 pm) I only see those of today's tasks that are related to work? And after work, I'd like to see personal tasks only.

Whenever I look at today's tasks, it looks cluttered because I see both work and personal tasks.

If I choose to view tasks by context, I see undated tasks too.

Isn't there a way so that at work (between 9 - 6) I only see today's work tasks, and at leisure (after 6 pm) I see personal tasks only?

You could create two top-level contexts Work and Personal. All work-related contexts go under Work, and all personal under Personal (as sub-contexts). At 9am, manually toggle Work to ACTIVE and Personal to ON HOLD. At 6pm, reverse the procedure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJJWMac View Post
You could create two top-level contexts Work and Personal. All work-related contexts go under Work, and all personal under Personal (as sub-contexts). At 9am, manually toggle Work to ACTIVE and Personal to ON HOLD. At 6pm, reverse the procedure.
Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Sadly, it didn't exactly work in my case: setting the Personal context On Hold (or to Dropped) only resulted in dated Personal context actions being grayed out but still visible in Forecast.

Strangely, after reverting the Personal context back to Active and then again back to On Hold, even the graying out no longer works. All of today's actions are fully visible in Forecast regardless of context status. :( I don't know why the graying out effect no longer works - a bug perhaps?

I did find an alternate solution though: go into Contexts, select the Office context (for example), and then in View Options choose the option to sort by and show dated and flagged items first.

Does putting a context On Hold hide related items in Forecast on your OmniFocus?

AFAIK, when a task has a due date, it appears in Forecast view regardless. My apologies for the confusion. I believe that you will have to create a Perspective on the Mac version that shows only Available tasks to have contexts toggle.

I've no idea about the strange behavior since I am still on OF 1.x on the iPhone.

I am not at my computer to put it up but someone pointed me in the direction of a today perspective that shows only today tasks separated by context. Would that be what you are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJJWMac View Post
AFAIK, when a task has a due date, it appears in Forecast view regardless. My apologies for the confusion. I believe that you will have to create a Perspective on the Mac version that shows only Available tasks to have contexts toggle.

I've no idea about the strange behavior since I am still on OF 1.x on the iPhone.
Ok, thanks. I'll report the bug to Omnigroup.

Sadly, I can't create Perspectives because I don't use a Mac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy213 View Post
I am not at my computer to put it up but someone pointed me in the direction of a today perspective that shows only today tasks separated by context. Would that be what you are looking for.
Thanks. That might have been my solution but only if I also used OmniFocus for Mac. Sadly, I'm on Windows, and I can't create customised Perspectives.