The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Hoping to become an OF user Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,
I'm very interested in the Omnifocus app for the iphone.
I do not have a mac and would using the app as standalone.
I have tried various other apps out there and am currently using appigo's todo. I was some what impress by Reqall, but was missing things like projects or being able to make a simple shopping list.
I have been looking for a free trial version of the OF, but I guess there is none.
I know 20 isn't a lot of money, but I really did't just want to throw money out.
Has anyone else used the Todo or reqall? Would someone mind sharing with me why they like the OF better?
How does OF really cut it as a stand alone?
Is it very complicated to set up the notification for OF? I read the thread on how to do it, but it seemed complicated. Is it or is it easy to follow along?
I have seen a few videos on utube, but none really detailing on whats all there. The vides I saw are just showing me in gerneral what is in OF, but not really getting into the detail that I'd like to see.
Anyways, any info to help me make up my mind would highly be appreciated.
thanks

Hi Trulyshy
I've been using Omnifocus for a few weeks now after using Todo, Toodledo and Things. I do have the desktop version as well, but while I'm at work, we are totally PC based and so I have to do everything on my iPhone, so that's kind of similar really.

What prompted the change for me was reading the GTD book. I suddenly realised that I needed an app where I could look exclusively at actions by context (no point in my task manager hammering on about filing the report while I'm in the Mall).

I tried other apps that claim to do this, but Omnifocus is the only one which works like I want to work without fiddling about. It's fast, it's reliable and I can use it very quickly.

I don't have notifications set up, as I tend to put those in my calendar anyway, but if you have any problems the ninjas (helpdesk) are amazing and will help you.

I did use Reqall for a while, but I abandoned it for similar reasons to you. I'm sure it's great for people who have a few tasks on the go at any one time, but not to people who plan projects over a period of months, have to delegate tasks (and keep an eye on them), and it didn't really understand my English accent. And I felt a bit stupid talking into my phone with tasks.

Anyway, part of what you buy with a product like this is the support, and that is first class, from the Ninjas down to the other users on the forum.

i love this product and I'm sure you would too.

Hi Marisa,

Thank you so much for replying. After your review, I went and bought the OF.
I've been playing around with it here and there and really like it so far.
Now I just have to dig into trying to figure out how to get the notifications to work.
If I can get that going, this would as close to perfect as perfect comes.
Thank you again for your time, I really appreciate it!!
Christine

Christine, glad to have been of help, hope you like this app as much as I do!