The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Linking mail and Omnifocus. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
As I am on the road for the first time only with my iPad, a need I had already identified, has become more critical. On my mac environment, my workflow tends to be very much based on turning mails into actions in OF.

I wanted to know if it's possible and if there were plans to allow this same type of functionality on the iPad platform. With it, it would be great to have the possibility to access the original mail linked directly from within OF just like in the mac platform.

Any chance? Thanks.

Martin Herrera | www.martinhsphoto.com

Yep, same here!

Mark

The links created on the Mac don't seem to work with the Mail app on the iPad...I clipped a message to OmniFocus, copied the link, and pasted it into an email to myself. When I read the email on the Mac, the link opened the original message, but the link in the message when read on the iPad didn't do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinchohs View Post
As I am on the road for the first time only with my iPad, a need I had already identified, has become more critical. On my mac environment, my workflow tends to be very much based on turning mails into actions in OF.

I wanted to know if it's possible and if there were plans to allow this same type of functionality on the iPad platform. With it, it would be great to have the possibility to access the original mail linked directly from within OF just like in the mac platform.

Any chance? Thanks.

Martin Herrera | www.martinhsphoto.com
It would be great to hear from someone at Omni whether this would be possible, and if it's any plan to be incorporated. Doing so would radically change the way I work with the iPad and iPhone, allowing to truly process actions, and fundamentally work through my inbox as well. Thanks a lot.

If you want to be sure of getting a response from Omni, you need to contact them directly via Help->Send Feedback or email OmniFocus@omnigroup.com....especially with nearly everyone off at WWDC this week, assuming that each and every forum post will be seen and answered when they return seems a bit optimistic...

If your email is primarily text, and you are willing to leave your Mac running while you are on the road, you can get a pretty good bite out of this now. Set yourself up with an account that you only configure to be read by Mail on your Mac -- you don't want to read it with your iPhone OS device, only send to it. Set up the Mail processing feature in OmniFocus to intercept messages to that mailbox from you using the "+omnifocus" address variant. Now you can read your mail on the iPhone/iPad as usual, and if you see something you want to turn into an action, forward it to that "+omnifocus" address. Mail will stuff it into OmniFocus when it next processes your email, and OmniFocus will sync a minute or so later; your next sync of the iPhone/iPad will pick up the new action(s) in your Inbox and you can edit them, assign project, context, etc. You will not have a link that will take you directly to the message in the Mail app, but you will have hot links for email addresses in the headers of the message, so you can tap one to respond to the sender, or you could use the iPhone OS copy/paste facilities if there's a more complicated set of addressees. Unfortunately, attachments don't seem to come along for the ride, and that could definitely be a deal-breaker for some.

Another option would be to use a "remote control" setup like VNC or LogMeIn to connect back to your home/office Mac to invoke the clipping service on any needed messages.

whpalmer4. Thanks. I'll take a look into this option. It would be great to have a native functionality. Appreciate it. Martin.

I just send then the feedback. Thanks.