The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Creating templates Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Question: I want to use OO to create a daily checklist of my duties at work, bring up the "master" and save a copy as the current day's checklist. Can this be done?

On a related note, can I create OO docs on the iPad and save them as templates?

Also, what is the document management like in OO? Is it just one big file repository or can I manage it?

Frustrated that there is no online manual for me to read before I buy the app. Seems to be a common trend amongst mobile app developers, but on a 20$ app, I think it might be prudent.

Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravedog View Post
Question: I want to use OO to create a daily checklist of my duties at work, bring up the "master" and save a copy as the current day's checklist. Can this be done?
OO for iPad (OOi hereafter) allows you to duplicate documents and rename them, so yes.
Quote:
On a related note, can I create OO docs on the iPad and save them as templates?
Yes. OO templates (on the Mac) are just OO docs with a different extension, stored in a specific directory. On the iPad, you just select a document in the document chooser, duplicate and edit. There's currently no separate storage or display for templates.
Quote:
Also, what is the document management like in OO? Is it just one big file repository or can I manage it?
At the moment it's just one big repository, with options to sort by name or modification date. I don't know when they might trot out folders, but it seems like an obvious thing to do.
Quote:

Frustrated that there is no online manual for me to read before I buy the app. Seems to be a common trend amongst mobile app developers, but on a 20$ app, I think it might be prudent.
That just means you'll have to take Omni up on their 30-day money-back guarantee if you don't like it.

I don't really understand why they don't publish the built-in help for any of the iPad apps on their website, as they are embedded websites in the apps and it's trivial to do (took me about 10 minutes to do the whole job as a proof of that assertion, including learning where the files were stored in the app, but I'm not comfortable republishing their IP without prior consent). The built-in help may not be as comprehensive as a manual, but it is a lot better than nothing! They have to eat Apple's 30% cut if they refund your money, so they would seem to have some incentive to give you additional visibility prior to purchase...

Just created a really great OO (iPad) template for tracking guesses/cards in Cluedo.

However I still lost.