The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Due or Flagged View not Updating Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
This bug has just bitten me again today (missed an action to get my niece a birthday card) :-(

I reported this to the 'support ninjas' some months back, highlighting the fact that 'sleeping' the computer was involved. Any further news on being able to reproduce/fix?
This is still happening to me as well in 1.7.1 - there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it decides to update the "due today" view when they machine goes to sleep.

If you have a laptop, forget it - you have to restart the app once a day just to make sure you aren't missing anything.

Having to remember this is really not good GTD practice :)

Now that the new version is out, and ready for Leopard, any chance we can get this bug fixed???

Sleeping your machine may be involved, but that doesn't seem to be necessary for the bug to appear. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I put my MBP to sleep at night, but I've seen this problem occur even in the middle of the day, hours after having been woken from sleep.

What makes this issue particularly troublesome is that it's so intermittant and unpredictable. I'll go weeks without seeing any related problem and then it'll suddenly appear again. But then, when it does appear, I can never reproduce it a second time.

-Dennis

Thanks Toadling - I didn't realize that. I guess I am not sure what you mean though. Tasks that are due Today should switch to the due today list at some point based on the time (i.e. 12 midnight) when they are considered to be due Today.

I presumed the problem was that the machine was asleep during the transition, and whatever monitored the tasks for their status wasn't picking up that the date had changed.

Is this the same issue you were experiencing, that things are not being added to the "Today" list or being updated? I didn't realize that was also a problem if the machine was awake. Not sure what the problem is then...

Toadling,
Are you saying that once your machine has awoken from sleep, it remains awake for the rest of the day? I would have thought most people have their Macs sleep after a certain period of inactivity and so they could sleep multiple times during a a given day?

There have been multiple threads over the months (years ?) describing what appears to be the same bug - all of them appear to have their Macs going to sleep at some point.

Perhaps if someone from Omni like Ken could describe the code logic involved in updating an action's status we could deduce what might be happening here - is there some 'monitor' thread running at regular intervals to update action states (every minute for example) that looks at specific actions due within the same interval some (Due Soon) days hence? A 'sleeping' Mac would could mean that some of the actions in intervals that would have been 'scanned' had the Mac not been sleeping would be missed.

Here's hoping this one can be squashed!

Ken has explained the algorithm on the forums. I'm afraid I don't have a ready link, but some searching for posts from Ken would turn it up.

Curt

Curt,
I'm not finding anything by Ken detailing an 'algorithm', but then Ken has submitted a lot of posts.

I'd be interested if anyone can find it and post a link.

Ok, I think I've found it now:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
We maintain a schedule of upcoming events, and schedule a timer to wake up and update the task status at the time of the first unprocessed event within the next few hours. If there isn't anything scheduled to happen in the next few hours, we schedule an event to check the schedule again later. And, of course, we update and rescan the schedule when task dates are edited.

When the timer fires, we scan through all the tasks and update their status. Any groups to which that task belongs (projects, contexts, folders) should update their status and counters as well, and finally any views displaying any of those tasks or groups should redraw with the new status.
Thing is: What happens when a 'timer' should run and the computer is 'sleeping'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Thing is: What happens when a 'timer' should run and the computer is 'sleeping'?
The timer remains in the timer queue, and we double-check that timer queue against the system clock each time OmniFocus receives input from the user (such as moving the mouse over an OmniFocus window). (The queue is ordered by date, so we just have to compare the current date against the date of the first entry in the queue. We weren't always quite so paranoid about this, but we found that we couldn't rely on the timers to fire appropriately otherwise.)

So I guess I have to think that we've actually seen the timer fire if it was scheduled, but it didn't end up doing its work properly for some reason. (Or perhaps the problem is that we failed to correctly schedule the timer in the first place?)

Last edited by Ken Case; 2009-09-06 at 12:18 PM..

P.S. — If you'd like to help us debug this, try turning on this debug setting to get more information logged to the Console:

Code:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus OFMTaskElapsedDateControllerDebug -bool true
When you're ready to turn that debug log back off:

Code:
defaults remove com.omnigroup.OmniFocus OFMTaskElapsedDateControllerDebug

P.P.S. — If you're debugging this, it would help to know what clears it up. I know that relaunching the app does, and it seems likely that rebuilding the database (with File->Rebuild Database) does, but does it also start working properly if you close the window and reopen it? Or if you switch view modes?