The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

TOC - Table of Contents Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been really happy with the options Omnigraffle offers towards wireframing. Right now, and this isn't likely to change, we tend to offer a printed bundle with functional templates to our analogue-minded clients. Before pushing the print button the wireframes are put into an Indesign doc, just for the pagination and automatic table of contents generation.

I would really love to see a simple table of contents generation system in Omnigraffle, so I won't have to leacve the app for Adobe bloatware. This post is basically a feauture request, awaiting support from other users :-) Keep it up

Be sure to also submit your request via Help->Send Feedback or email omnigraffle@omnigroup.com so that it is officially noted and counted...

I'd be very interested in some form of autopagination as well. I have some large pieces of work coming up and OG would be great as the tool to use. Currently using InDesign CS2, excellent by the way, but seriously like the OG capability.

The release notes for OmniGraffle 5.2 beta 7 (including Pro) say:
"Canvas names are now retained on export to PDF for bookmarking and a document contents outline." (http://www.omnigroup.com/application.../releasenotes/)

Can anyone tell me how to use that data to create a table of contents when the PDF is generated?

thanks

/a

I would also like to use the VARIABLES to create a custom TOC. I name my canvases to create the page headers in my documents - being able to auto export these to a TOC would be great --- but I don't mind having a VARIABLE to which I add/click the desired page -- then if that page changes it's location in the deck the variable updates with the new number -- this would enable two thing...

1. I could make a custom TOC that auto updates
2. I could reference pages in the text of my deck and if that page changes the reference is still valid.

This would be a HUGE timesaver and would help me deliver better docs to my client.

I agree, we need a TOC functionality within Omnigraffle.
Please please please.
thank you

I completely agree, a dynamic TOC that could just list canvas names and page numbers would save me a couple of hours on every large document.

Please please please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoudack View Post
The release notes for OmniGraffle 5.2 beta 7 (including Pro) say:
"Canvas names are now retained on export to PDF for bookmarking and a document contents outline." (http://www.omnigroup.com/application.../releasenotes/)

Can anyone tell me how to use that data to create a table of contents when the PDF is generated?

thanks

/a

I too wondered the same thing. After looking around on the web for a while I found this answer. I have found this to be a huge help, I can generate a PDF, run this script, then copy and past the output back into the first page of my document as a TOC. It's not perfect but it works.

Additionally I have attached a .zip file with 2 versions of the script modified from this thread on the acrobat users forums. One versions output includes the page numbers, one does not.

hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: zip BookmarksListPDF.zip (2.5 KB, 818 views)

What you will need:
Copy of Omnigraffle 5.2
Copy of Acrobat Pro
Script for generating the canvas names
Script for generating the corresponding canvas numbers

NOTE: I broke the TOC out into two scripts because I wanted to format my TOC on an Omnigraffle Canvas instead of the kinda ugly thing that Acrobat gives you. I also wanted to be able to take out items such as the Title page from the TOC. I have provided the single script solution if you just want quick and dirty with no formatting / editing ability.

NOTE: I am not an Acrobat guy in an sense so there's probably a better way to automate this. Would love to hear it.

Ok, let's do this:

Part I

Step 1: Export your graffle file as a PDF vector image. In the 'Export area' dropdown, make sure you select 'Entire Document'

Step 2: Open up your new pdf file in Acrobat Pro

Step 3: In Acrobat Pro go to Advanced > Document Processing > Batch processing

Step 4: Select 'New sequence' and name it TOC_NAMES

Step 5: In the Edit dialog, click the 'Select Commands button and choose 'Execute Javascript' and add it to the right column using the Add button

Step 6: Once the 'Execute Javascript' has been added to the right column, Click it to open it. There should be a 'script:' label.

Step 7. Double click on the 'script:' label and it will launch a text window. Copy and paste the toc_names script that I have attach. (you can open the script in TextEdit).

For the '2. Run commands on' dropdown choose 'Files open in Acrobat'

Step 8. Close out of the Edit Sequence dialog. You now have a TOC_NAMES in your batch sequences. Select it and click 'Run Sequence"

Step 9. You will get a 'Run Sequence Confirmation' dialog box. Click the arrow next to the 'Execute Javascript label and then select the script. Click OK. It will then show you the Javascript Editor window - click ok.

Step 10. After clicking ok on the Confirmation and the Javascript editor windows, Acrobat will dynamically generate a PDF with a list of you canvasses. You can copy and paste this list into a new Omnigraffle Table of Contents canvas.

Part II

To get the corresponding page numbers, repeat steps 3 - 10 but creating a TOC_NUMBERS sequence and using the toc_numbers script instead.

Acrobat will then auto generate a list of your page numbers in your doc. You can copy and paste that column into your Table of contents canvas.

So now you have the list of Canvas names in one column and their corresponding page numbers in another. You just need to make sure they line up. You can also edit the columns so that you take out the Title page etc.

Final

So now you should have 2 batch sequences saved in your Acrobat Pro that you can use repeatedly to generate TOCs for your Omnigraffle files. It's definitely a work around but it's hours better than doing and changing a TOC by hand.
Attached Files
File Type: txt toc_names.txt (1.6 KB, 954 views)
File Type: txt toc_numbers.txt (1.7 KB, 899 views)
File Type: txt toc_both.txt (1.7 KB, 983 views)