The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SUGGESTION: Display action count when closing window Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
When I click the red "Close" button, the number of active items is no longer displayed in the dock. Considering clicking Close doesn't actually quit the application, shouldn't the number of active actions remain displayed in the dock?

IMO, this is a fairly annoying behavior and I'm hoping that, at a minimum, you make this a preference on whether the number of actions should be displayed in the dock when the main OmniFocus window is not displayed on the screen.

I hadn't noticed this since I prefer to hide OmniFocus when not in use rather than close the window. But I just tried it and closing the window does, indeed, make the Dock icon badge disappear. Surely this is a bug, right?

I found this quite confusing too. It would make sense for a document based application, but not really for OF.

Is there any particular reason why the OF document is closed when the window is closed?

Just noticed this hadn't been replied to since January, so I thought I'd bring it back up as this is a slight annoyance for me as well.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

I actually asked the Support Ninjas about this back in April and was told that this behavior was intentional and that it has something to do with "the way OmniFocus interacts with OSX's Core Data."

This doesn't make much sense to me, but I know only the very basics about Core Data. But at least we know it's not a bug but rather a design decision. :) Consequently, I don't expect it to change anytime soon.

-Dennis

No, actually, we agree that it should display an accurate count whether or not any windows are open. The issue of how to do this properly is an implementation detail, but that's our problem to worry about and not yours!

It would be really nice if the behavior would be fixed in the nearest future. I know that it looks like a minor issue but for me it's a major one. I "learned" to hide OmniFocus instead of closing the window, but sometimes I forget it and then wonder about the non-existent badge. I think it's because other application handle this in a different way (e.g. Mail.app or NetNewsWire).

And it's a major one, because I want to rely on the badge count if I have important tasks to do. A missing badge count tells me: "Hey, you've already done everything, go and play something" ;)

I've got OF in a Space all its own, so I don't have to work to hide it. But that's just a stop-gap for the pending badge-count fix.

I agree. I am using Growl and if I close the window, Growl does not work. Hopefully Omni is working on a fix.