The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OF + IPhone = Useless Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I can't add to my feelings from a post I wrote a couple months back... I thought I had given up on trying to sync my OF desktop to my IPhone until one day last week I figured I would try it again--it must be self-loathing. Like the last time it's been an awful experience for me. No matter how anyone would like to defend this, OF and IPhone are not a good match for each other. The fact that I've spent four months trying to sync my phone and still no results is telling. In theory its beautiful, in practice its unpleasant, and a complete waste of time. I want my money back.

Have you tried the recommended solution from this thread: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=9371

Update: We still don't know exactly what's causing this issue, but several of our users have reported that they were able to stop these false conflict reports (and the data corruption they can cause if you're not careful) by telling their copies of OmniFocus to sync to the top-level "Backup" folder on their iDisk, instead of the "Documents" folder.

It appears that the Backup folder is excluded from the iDisk sync process; that appears to prevent the sync conflicts mentioned above. If you're using any other software that uses that backup folder on your iDisk, please proceed with caution! Contact the support ninjas if you have more questions.

See other thread... did you try the recommended solution for people who have iDisk synching to their Desktop on (place the OmniFocus file in the Backups folder on your iDisk and not in any of the other folders):

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=9371

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch5050 View Post
Yes it is...OF and synching to the IPhone is not as good as it should be. From the video, one gets the idea that syncing is about the easiest thing ever--it's not. From what I've read, there are a lot of people who are having serious sync issues.
You must be kidding! That has not been my experience at all. In fact, it's been the exact opposite. Syncing in OmniFocus is the best I've seen in *any* product, it's very reliable, and usually quite fast (depending on network conditions).

As for others reporting problems, have you looked at the dates of those posts? I suspect most are from older versions of the app when kinks were still being straightened out. But personally, it's always worked well for me via MobileMe, even back during the early releases.

-Dennis

For me, syncing sucked in the earlier versions, and sucks now. Believe me I would love for it to work, it just hasn't yet. I can't explain to you the amount of time I've spent wasting trying to get everything to sync. I really like OF on the desktop, but getting it to work on my IPhone has been a disaster. It confuses me that this issue appears to be so black & white: some people have the easiest time syncing, while others seem completely baffled--a puzzling contrast.

Dutch 50/50 , as long as we're calling it like it is .
Posting 3 threads on the same forum all blasting omnifocus iphone and asking questions like " do other users share this sentiment? "

would be considered the behavior of a Troll on many forums on the web .

If you really want help I'd advise against referring to the product as " sucking " and " worthless " . :D

Would calling one's behavior "Troll" like be the equivalent of the same behavior? Calling the product "sucking" or "worthless" is exactly how I feel about the product I've paid for.

I'm not frequently on web forums so I can't exactly say that I'm aware of the proper etiquette. As a concerned customer, I'd call my language appropriate. However, I'm a fan of OF, so I'm only calling attention (bluntly) to a serious problem that appears recurring for many users.

What you aren't telling us is exactly what you are having problems with and what you have done to try and solve them. So far, I can see from your responses in the other threads that you have iDisk synching on - I assume you mean that you have your iDisk as a local volume on your hard drive? If so, the solution to your problem has been determined so have you tried it? Change the location of the OmniFocus database file to the
Code:
https://idisk.me.com/<yourmobilmename>/Backup
folder on your iDisk and reset the iPhone version from the Desktop by sharing the settings once you have done this:

OmniFocus synching will not work with iDisk synching on unless you do this.

Thanks JKT, I saw that you have recommended this in an earlier post, and I'm going to try this once OF allows me. For some reason my OF prefs won't allow me to alter anything within the sync window. I'm emailing with a ninja (that sounds weird) as we speak. Explaining the depth of my troubleshooting would be exhusting--mind you my knowledge of troubleshooting is limited. But I've done what everyone on the forum has told me to, as well as the tech service guy I spoke with over a week long basis. I'm hoping this ninja can help me out, but I have my doubts. Thanks for you posts.

Dutch, if you can't make any changes in the sync preferences, it's because the database you have open at the moment isn't stored in the location that OmniFocus expects your 'main' database to live.

You don't want to sync the contents of some other database up to the server; it would corrupt your data. To protect you from this, we disable sync when the database is stored in some other location.

In any case, if you quit OmniFocus and then open up
<your home folder>/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/
in the finder, you should see a file named "OmniFocus" or "OmniFocus.ofocus" there.

Double-click that file and OmniFocus will launch. When it does so, are the sync controls still disabled?