The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

multiple projects with staff resources Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingbrook View Post
Got what? Does OmniPLan no offer multiple projects?
Reading over my last post it looks like I wasn't very clear. My apologies dancingbrook. It sounded like you were wanting to add a vote to this feature request so I replied with, "you got it", as in I added a vote for you in our database.

To clarify, OmniPlan does not support multiple linked projects right now but this is something we're considering for a later version. :-)

Last edited by skwirl; 2007-08-04 at 11:02 PM..

I thought it'd be fine to just use tasks as projects (and subtasks as tasks) to handle the multiple-projects issue.

The only downside I see so far is that Critical Path will not work properly, since it looks over the whole file instead of for each task separately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelatSPG View Post
I thought it'd be fine to just use tasks as projects (and subtasks as tasks) to handle the multiple-projects issue.

The only downside I see so far is that Critical Path will not work properly, since it looks over the whole file instead of for each task separately...
And what would one use as subtasks? ;-)

Let's hope Omni fixes all of this sooner than later. If they integrate Plan Focus, Graffle and Outliner, then they might have a grand slam, or a real OmniDazzle.

I use omni plan and make all my projects " tasks " and then each projects tasks become the " subtasks .. the nice thing about it is .. if I put a parent task called " this week " or something like that .. I can see the estimated time required to accomplish all my projects for the week and remaining time as it burns down etc ..

Just to add my Vote, I am in the process of evaluating OmniPlan and almost disregarded it because of the Multi-Project problem. I found the script for importing multi projects and I think this should do the trick. (I couldn't test it properly as I believe it exceeded the evaluation task limit.

I really do think Omni should make haste with this feature as anyone who is using project management software needs it.

It is a great application otherwise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamejob View Post
Just to add my Vote, I am in the process of evaluating OmniPlan and almost disregarded it because of the Multi-Project problem. I found the script for importing multi projects and I think this should do the trick. (I couldn't test it properly as I believe it exceeded the evaluation task limit.

I really do think Omni should make haste with this feature as anyone who is using project management software needs it.

It is a great application otherwise!
I'll add your vote flamejob. As for the evaluation task limit, you can request a 24 hour trial license on our website here.

You can request 1 additional license every 12 hours, so if you need more time to properly evaluate OmniPlan you can have more time.

Please add my vote as well.

My company uses Omni plan for scheduling and resourcing and would love to continue using it if we could scale up to allow managing multiple projects / resources.

Also, it looks like this thread has been going on for a while. Is there anyway to know approximately when/if this feature will be added? It looks as though enough people would benefit from it.

Thanks!
dt

+ 1 vote,

when will this feature be available ? we are all waiting for it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwong View Post
...it won't be in version 1.2. It'll probably be a 2.x feature, but I can't promise anything at this point.
Version 1.2 got renamed to 1.5 because we added several more features than we originally expected. Since 1.5 isn't even out yet, it's impossible to say when 2.0 will be, and whether this feature will be included. We do understand that it's important to a lot of people, but it also requires a major reworking (and re-testing) of several areas of our application, so we need to plan carefully. A look at the history of other Omni applications reveals that the time between major releases (1 to 2, 2 to 3, etc.) is perhaps 1-3 years. As OmniPlan has been out for about a year now, one might guess at seeing OmniPlan 2.0 sometime in the next 2 years.

I know my previous post sounds very vague and pessimistic, but we honestly do not know. Omni's policy is to focus less on schedules and more on the features and quality our customers have come to expect from us. I could tell you a date, but it'd have a 99.8% chance of being wrong, so there's really no point.