The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Problem with Mail to OmniFocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by idangazit View Post
Is there a fix in the works for omnifocus and mail on systems running Safari 4?
You'd have to ask Apple as this is an Apple-confirmed bug in Safari 4.

Curt

The current Safari 4 beta introduces a bug in Mail's AppleScript support which causes that error any time a script tries to access the content of a message.

(Blatant plug: If all you want is the new Safari 4 engine and web inspector, might I recommend our OmniWeb 5.10 sneakypeeks? They have the new WebKit, but won't break Mail or any other applications.)

I use the forward to OmniFocus as a way to tickle emails I need to re-read / act on when I have more time, mostly used from my PDA. When this broke I was lost --- water coming in over the transom!

Since I can't fix the root cause, I've mod'd the script a little bit to make the best of what does work. I grab the subject, the date of the forwarding message (as opposed to the message being forwarded since it's unavailable) to help me find the original, a due date (I personally try to respond to all email within 3 days) and a context that works with my GTD usage. I'll probably keep the last two pieces even after there's a real fix. I've found em to same me some typing.

Here's the mod:

Code:
		-- My edits to make forward to omnifocus work again
		set theText to "{" & theSubject & "} sent near " & date sent of theMessage & " @mac #3days "
		-- Next line is original from omni commented out for saf 4 beta bug
		-- set theText to theSubject & return & content of theMessage
... to file /Applications/OmniFocus.app/Contents/Resources/MailAction.applescript

This may be not be your issue, but I had a similar problem with the message being filed in my Omnifocus mail folder but nothing showing up in my OF inbox. I isolated the occurrance to those occassions where I opened and read the mail message on my iPhone or my iMac while my MacBook, where I have clipotron and the script loaded and where I do the bulk of my OF work, was not powered on, or mail was not running. Now, I am careful not to read messages that come in with a subject of -- (my standard trigger) on any other device. John

Context:New, white, MacBook, leopard 10.5.6 (last update), international version OF 1.6 (it speaks Italian).
Till few hour ago I 've been experiencing a complete failure of OF "Mail connection" which hasn't been able to create any action starting from an email. I couldn't detect any specific,interesting signal/clue in log files (Console.app).
After trying with many a combination of selections in OF mail preference pane, well, I eventually ended up with DE-SELECTING the "folder" option (sorry I'm translating from Italian into English, so wording could be somewhat different from the standard English version) and all started to work!
Ciao, Vittorio

I don't know, if my situatuíon is already mentioned here:
I have Tiger 10.4.11, Mail 2.1.3, MailTags 2.1.1, Omnifocus 1.6.1. and clip-o-tron 3000 installed.
When OF isn't running everything works fine (I press the Hotkey in Mail and OF is starting with a new item in Inbox) but with OF already running nothing happens in OF.
Any suggestions?

I know Apple released a more recent update to Safari. Does anyone know if they fixed the bug that trashes OmniFocus's mail processing?

Further, to get it working again do you have to Uninstall Safari4 and revert to v. 3? Or can you just start using OmniWeb, etc.? I assume you have to uninstall because Safari would seem to affect Mail whether or not it's actually running, yes?

Anybody done any more investigating?

Install the .17 build of Safari 4, restart the machine, and all should be well. See this thread for more info.

I had this all working just fine. Then messages that were supposed to be processed were simply ending up in my trash without also being sent to the omnifocus inbox. I had a look at the script and found that it was failing when it was checking the allowed email senders and found no match. I added the 2 email addresses from which I would send and voila it worked.

Take yourself to omnifocus::preferences::mail:allowedfromaddresses and add the addresses you wish to allow to use this feature.

At first I tried the following:
1. turn off the add mail rule to create omnifocus actions in omnifocus::preferences::mail. then turned it back on. What this does is it removes the action from Mail.app, restarts Mail.app then re-adds the action to Mail.app and restarts mail.app. That was not sufficient.

2. I turned off and turned on clip-o-tron support in omnifocus::preferences:clippings -that was also insufficient, but, in doing so re-read the note on that settings UI and now I know the keyboard shortcut -which I had forgot.

3. I add some log instructions to the script itself and found out where it was prematurely exiting the script. -that's when I realized I needed to add some emails to the list of allowed emails.

Summary:
Okay, so this was working and then it stopped. It took a bit of work back and forth with the OF ninja and some work on my own to solve this -for my particular case. I can only think that something happened when I 1. upgraded from OS X 10.6. to 10.7 and/or when an update to OF appeared shortly after 10.7 was released -something in there must have wiped out my list of allowed emails.

This spring I suggested a 1-line addition to that Applescript which would put a log message out every time you got an email from a sender not on the list. Apparently there's still some discussion going on about whether or not to accept the change :-)

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...5091#post95091

Send a message referencing OG #616246 to omnifocus@omnigroup.com and maybe the wheels will grind slightly faster.