The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Q re iCal & OF across two computers Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Whilst at home/office I do most of my work on my Mac Pro. When on the road I have a MacBook Pro that goes with me.

Right now I have iCal synching on the hour using .Mac. This means my calendars are in sync regardless of the computer I'm using. I have installed OF on the Mac Pro and am successfully using the iCal synch to get OF tasks into the iCal 'to-do'. These are then syncing into the MacBook Pro's 'to-dos'.

If I install OF on the MacBook Pro, can I also have this in sync – assuming I make sure the same sync mappings exist as those on the Mac Pro – and then enter/edit tasks on either machine (only one ever used at any point in time)?

I am a bit nervous about testing this theory in case I screw anything, and thought I'd ask first to see if anyone else has gone down this route.

Thanks.

David

Well, I think it will sync, as you want it to. But I'm pretty sure you will not end up with the two OF databases being in sync. Meaning they won't be exact replicas. Reason I say this is because some information is lost when sync'd to the iCal to-do list. So while that will make its way successfully through .Mac and down to your other iCal, the origin OF data will not be there.

So not sure if that achieves your desired goal or not.

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty new to OF and haven't yet played with all its features. Can you give me an idea of what might get lost via the intermediary iCal sync?

Is there a better way to achieve my end result?

David

So what OF info is lost in the sync with iCal?

I've been trying to sync between two computers and have hit with continual sync issues that I assumed were isync issues.

Is there a best practices or option to work with OF on two computers?

(sorry, I hope that's clear)

Anthony