The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iCal and OF Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Now that I can sync to iCal...

why do projects have to have a time. If I want to write a story this Sunday, that is due on Monday...shouldn't I be able to say "write a story 'all day' on Sunday"
and still have 'all day' on Monday to turn it in?

Last edited by librarymonkey27; 2007-12-04 at 01:26 PM..

Project dates are review dates and have nothing to do with a time for completion. Due dates DO have times, but you can just set it to midnight or whatever or just ignore it entirely. It's not going to pop up a reminder or set your calendar.

Also, PLEASE ditch that dancing character sig. It's making me sick and taking up huge amounts of screen space. I appreciate your artistic (?) talent (?), but I don't need to see that on every one of your posts. This ain't MySpace. ;) :) :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNik View Post
Also, PLEASE ditch that dancing character sig.
Ditto! ...................... (there is that long enough?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNik View Post
Project dates are review dates and have nothing to do with a time for completion. Due dates DO have times, but you can just set it to midnight or whatever or just ignore it entirely. It's not going to pop up a reminder or set your calendar.

Also, PLEASE ditch that dancing character sig. It's making me sick and taking up huge amounts of screen space. I appreciate your artistic (?) talent (?), but I don't need to see that on every one of your posts. This ain't MySpace. ;) :) :)

I guess the dancing figure made my question confusing

I was not asking about 'active'

I was asking about dates, which have a
start
due
completed

date space and due on Monday is easier than due on monday, 12:00 a.m.

heck it's not only easier --- considering how glitchy setting dates are right now --- but due Monday, December 10, 2007 is more accurate than Monday, December 10, 2007 at 12 a.m.

If I understand correctly, you're wondering why "due on Monday" (with no time specified) means that something is due at beginning of Monday rather than the end of Monday?

We're considering changing this for 1.0, so any specified period (whether a day, month, or year) would refer to the end of that period when used as a due date, and the beginning of that period when used as a start date. (So if I were to say something starts in March and is due in April, it would become available on March 1 and be due on April 30. And if I say something starts today and is due today, it will start at 00:00 and be due at 23:59:59.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
If I understand correctly, you're wondering why "due on Monday" (with no time specified) means that something is due at beginning of Monday rather than the end of Monday?

We're considering changing this for 1.0, so any specified period (whether a day, month, or year) would refer to the end of that period when used as a due date, and the beginning of that period when used as a start date. (So if I were to say something starts in March and is due in April, it would become available on March 1 and be due on April 30. And if I say something starts today and is due today, it will start at 00:00 and be due at 23:59:59.)
this is kind of right. But I would think of this way:

if you tell me OF 1.0 will be available Jan. 10, 2008. Is it late if you post it at 8 a.m.? is it early if you post it at 6 p.m.

but generally speaking, I would gues sif you say it is available then that it would be in my inbox no later than 4 p.m. est (because I live in the east)

and jus tthe same, if you were to tell me that OmniFocus was first available on October 15, 2007. I would not say --- what time... I would just figure sometime during that day you had it ready

Ken, Provided that a task shows up (and I get notified via Growl) that it's due on the DAY that it's due, I'm fine with that behavior. If not, then both dates should be set to start-of-day (00:00:00/12 AM) so as to ensure you get a reminder. Alternately, set start date to beginning of the business day and due to the end, and make that time a preference (much as you have date/time setups in the review prefs).

Failing that pref (which really might be overkill), I think setting both dates to the very start of that day makes the most sense. It's not like the app penalizes you if an item is marked overdue, it just escalates it. Then "coming due" is pretty well restricted to the day before, which also makes sense to me.