The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Window control Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Sorry if I missed the tip, but how do I prevent OF keeping lots of unused windows in the background?

A possible user request here ;-)

I use Logic Pro for music, and it allows 'screensets' to be memorised and recalled at a touch of the numeric keys - up to 99! ( I only use 5 max, but they're incredibly useful.

'1' is my default display, and after I've gathered a few open panes and want to revert to default view, I simply press number 1.

Where are all the "unused windows in the background" coming from? I generally work in a single OmniFocus window and have never had the problem of extra windows in the background. Are you perhaps double-clicking on items to open them in a new window? Or maybe your perspectives are set to open in a new window? Have you tried using Exposé to access the backgrounded windows?

OmniFocus doesn't have much in the way of tools for managing multiple windows. But perspectives can replicate Logic Pro's screensets to a certain degree, at least for preserving/recalling settings for individual windows, including their dimensions and position. Furthermore, you can assign keyboard shortcuts to perspectives, so you can call up different settings quickly and easily, in the same window or in new windows.

Hope this helps,
Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2008-09-12 at 11:52 AM..

> Where are all the "unused windows in the background" coming from?

I don't know! I sometimes look at the Window menu and find that there are several other Windows in action.

> Are you perhaps double-clicking on items to open them in a new window?

possibly. Sometimes I doubleclick a project thinking to open it in the existing window, instead of clicking the triangle

ah...

I notice that when I click the triangle, sometimes the project opens into actions, and sometimes it opens a new window. Ditto when I close a project.

Is this a GUI 'feature' that might need tweaking?

> Or maybe your perspectives are set to open in a new window?

no - I checked

> Have you tried using Exposé to access the backgrounded windows?

no - I don't use Exposé

> perspectives can replicate Logic Pro's screensets [...]

yes, I can see that.
The only difference being that Logic's screensets recall all window states, whereas perspectives only recalls the topped window state.

> Furthermore, you can assign keyboard shortcuts to perspectives, [...]

yes

> Hope this helps,

very much :-)

thanks Dennis

peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemer View Post
> Are you perhaps double-clicking on items to open them in a new window?

possibly. Sometimes I doubleclick a project thinking to open it in the existing window, instead of clicking the triangle

ah...

I notice that when I click the triangle, sometimes the project opens into actions, and sometimes it opens a new window. Ditto when I close a project.

Is this a GUI 'feature' that might need tweaking?
Peter,

I think you might be running into an OF bug. Well, I consider it a bug anyway.

If an OF window doesn't have focus, that is, if another window is frontmost, then the first click on the arrow next to an OF project focuses the window but does not expand the project. However, if you click again in an attempt to expand the project, then OF treats that second click as part of a double click and opens a new window (or sometimes OF just beeps). In my opinion, the first click should both focus the OF window and expand the item. If you agree, use Help --> Send Feedback to report the problem.

In the meantime, my work-around is to click on the window title bar to focus it before doing anything else with the mouse.

Curt

Sounds like you are double-clicking. You only need to click once to go to a new folder or open one of those triangle things.

I, personally, don't care for the "open a new window on double-click" philosophy of OF, as I rarely want a new window opened. I think it'd be more useful to just select the folder or project on single-click, open it in the pane on double-click, and use option-click or something to open a new window.