The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Automator can't open OF [Bug: please email support ninjas] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Both of those work for me when run from Script Editor.

However, both of them fail for me when run from a "Run AppleScript" step in an Automator workflow. ("OmniFocus got an error: Some parameter wasn't understood.")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
However, both of them fail for me when run from a "Run AppleScript" step in an Automator workflow. ("OmniFocus got an error: Some parameter wasn't understood.")
This works fine for me under Automator on both 10.4 and 10.5. Could you try running OmniFocus from Terminal with something like this (assuming you are using bash or zsh):

AEDebugReceives=1 /path/to/OmniFocus.app/Contents/MacOS/OmniFocus

and then invoke your (minimal) script. This will spew a ton of output, so just do the 'activate' bit :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
This works fine for me under Automator on both 10.4 and 10.5. Could you try running OmniFocus from Terminal with something like this (assuming you are using bash or zsh):

AEDebugReceives=1 /path/to/OmniFocus.app/Contents/MacOS/OmniFocus

and then invoke your (minimal) script. This will spew a ton of output, so just do the 'activate' bit :)
Both now seem to be working for me in 95008. Let me know if that output would be useful to you regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Both now seem to be working for me in 95008. Let me know if that output would be useful to you regardless.
Okay, I spoke too soon, and I do have that output for you.

Note that the simple activate script wasn't triggering the workflow crash, but this is the script that was:

Code:
tell application "iCal" to quit
tell application "OmniFocus"
	activate
	tell default document
		tell front document window
			set perspective name to "starting soon"
		end tell
	end tell
end tell
tell application "end of the day" to activate
Here's what results from your procedure when the workflow containing this script is run (and crashes):

Code:
user$ AEDebugReceives=1 /Applications/OmniFocus.app/Contents/MacOS/OmniFocus 
OCCCrashCatcher: Not enabling crash catching since we're connected to a tty (and thus presumably in gdb)
2007-11-28 17:07:09.382 OmniFocus[1768] linkPath /Users/user/Library/Mail/Bundles/OmniMailMessageServiceEnabler.mailbundle
2007-11-28 17:07:09.383 OmniFocus[1768] bundledPath /Applications/OmniFocus.app/Contents/Resources/OmniMailMessageServiceEnabler.mailbundle
2007-11-28 17:07:09.383 OmniFocus[1768] doesExist = 0, shouldExist = 0
AE2000 (1768): Received an event:
------oo start of event oo------
{ 1 } 'aevt':  ascr/gdte (ppc ){
          return id: 113967135 (0x6cb001f)
     transaction id: 0 (0x0)
  interaction level: 64 (0x40)
     reply required: 1 (0x1)
             remote: 0 (0x0)
  target:
    { 1 } 'psn ':  8 bytes {
      { 0x0, 0x13a0001 } (end of the day)
    }
  optional attributes:
    < empty record >
  event data:
    { 1 } 'aevt':  - 1 items {
      key '----' - 
        { 1 } 'long':  4 bytes {
          0 (0x0)
        }
    }
}

------oo  end of event  oo------
2007-11-28 17:07:25.779 OmniFocus[1768] .sdef warning for part of complex type 'color | text | file | point | real | integer | boolean | point | missing value' used in suite 'OmniStyle Scripting': 'missing value' is not a valid type name.
AE2000 (1768): Received an event:
------oo start of event oo------
{ 1 } 'aevt':  misc/actv (ppc ){
          return id: 113967139 (0x6cb0023)
     transaction id: 0 (0x0)
  interaction level: 96 (0x60)
     reply required: 1 (0x1)
             remote: 0 (0x0)
  target:
    { 1 } 'psn ':  8 bytes {
      { 0x0, 0x13a0001 } (end of the day)
    }
  optional attributes:
    { 1 } 'reco':  - 2 items {
      key 'subj' - 
        { -1 } 'null':  null descriptor
      key 'csig' - 
        { 1 } 'magn':  4 bytes {
          65536l (0x10000)
        }
    }

event data:
    { 1 } 'aevt':  - 0 items {
    }
}

------oo  end of event  oo------
Hope that helps your bug-hunting!

You're in good company:
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=5141
Maybe this thread will provoke an update on this issue from Omni.

Not fixed for me. In 97569, this script in an Automator "Run Applescript" action
Code:
tell application "OmniFocus"
	activate
	tell default document
		tell front document window
			set perspective name to "out of office"
		end tell
	end tell
end tell
returns this error:
Quote:
OmniFocus got an error: Some parameter is missing for activate.
(Same error if I make the activate command its own tell line, too.)

Probably worth recompiling the text.

Try going back to fresh plain text with the extension .applescript rather than a compiled script with the .scpt extension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
Probably worth recompiling the text.

Try going back to fresh plain text with the extension .applescript rather than a compiled script with the .scpt extension.
I'm not sure I follow you here. I'm not using either extension, as this script exists within an Automator routine...

Is this an Applescript Automator action which you are developing through Xcode ?

It would probably be worth testing the code from a text (.applescript) file, or rebuilding the Xcode project from scratch, copying the program text in from text files.

No Xcode, I'm merely using Automator.app, dragging over a "Run Applescript" action to the workflow, and typing the script into the box in the action. Then hitting the play button.