The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mark time as unavailable for certain tasks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have an issue that I can't work out how to resolve.

I need to represent on a plan a period each month end when our systems are locked down and unavailable for installs. Remaining functions, such as development and testing can continue during these times. Ideally I'd like the Gantt chart to show these days as shaded in some way, or otherwise visually show these period so that people can see to avoid planing installs for during these periods.

Any ideas gratefully received!

P

If you send email to the support ninjas, they may have more suggestions; their OmniPlan-fu is stronger than my own.

I'm not aware of a way to mark a resource as available for one class of actions but not another. I think my suggested approach would be to treat each server as a group, containing a "Server X <install>" resource as well as a "Server X" resource.

You could then set up a separate schedule for each "resource". Folks would need to be careful about assigning tasks to the correct one, but that should allow your overall plan to schedule as you'd like. Does that help?

(I'm not sure if folks have asked for this type of resource scheduling before in OmniPlan, which would be another reason to mail the support ninjas - they can add you to any existing requests and/or write up a new one for you on this. Thanks!)