The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Time Tracking feature in OmniFocus? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey,
It would be great if OmniFocus would have some time tracking features, to measure and visualize actual time for each activity/context.
Do you plan to do this in future releases?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasz.olek View Post
It would be great if OmniFocus would have some time tracking features, to measure and visualize actual time for each activity/context
It might work well to use a scriptable time-tracking package from Omnifocus. (iBiz 3 would be one example).

A script button on the Omnifocus toolbar could transfer the name of the selected task into the time-tracking software, and start the clock running.

I would like to propose some very simple time tracking features. I think iBiz3 is a bit over the top for most people, IMHO.

Here's where I am:
  • I itemize my tasks in Sidenote. It's a great little notepad that hides itself when you don't need it.
  • As I work through items (or make new ones up on the fly), I record my time in OmniOutliner. All work is nested by week and day, and OO automatically sums up the hours for me for each level.

Here's where I'd like to be:
  • OmniFocus can be attached to an edge and hidden when not moused.
  • A column added for recording task time. (currently it seems that both estimate and duration are used for the same thing.)
  • A simple report that can sum up this column, selectable date range and all/selectable projects.
  • The quick insert should allow you to specify a task time value.
  • Time related CSV export for people who need to more visualization.

FWIW, I own OF, but since starting to freelance, I don't have time to repeat myself in multiple tools.

Thoughts?

Kevin

I would not want to burden OF with this feature, but applescripting should be up to the task. Could a couple of AS buttons on the toolbar (which would be accessible from the keyboard via LaunchBar) provide a Start/Stop interface to set the start and completion times and therefore give you the duration when exposed in an export, perhaps from a saved Perspective?

I thought the duration was for estimating the needed time to complete the task . I use it with the script someone here wrote to start a flex time timer and see how accurate my estimates are , in addition to exporting to omni plan .

Doesn't the program " timelog " do time tracking based off a iCal calendar , maybe ssomething could be rigged based on that ?

I've been pondering time accounting as well. I currently just log my time as I go into a spreadsheet, and then re-key it into our corporate time accounting system once a week. This still makes sense as OF would not capture meeting, travel or unplanned time.

That said, I might find a way to take advantage of some extra fields (for elapsed time and accounting codes) in OF to automate at least a portion of my time accounting workflow. And, yes. A generic timer field (with supporting controller) would be awesome.

I do it the following way:
I installed a tool called Minco. I export all tasks from OmniFocus to iCal, where Minco can access them.

@StefanPapp -- can you give us any details on your use of Minco?

I'm also trying a script + Toggl referenced here: http://drwillbe.blogspot.com/2012/08...toggl.html?m=1

Minco was an awesome time tracking solution until iCal sync stopped working in Mountain Lion, now you need to manually add tasks to Reminders if you want to track them with Minco.

It's one of the main reasons I really miss iCal sync in both OmniFocus and other major productivity apps, there's no good solution anymore.

This would be great to have. Just allow a simple time counter per item. Add "Play" and "Pause" button. Done.