The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Filtering, TaskPaper, and three years Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
In-outline filtering ...
How do you see that working ?
Many outliners have solved this in different ways - Bonsai, Tao, Neo, InfoQube, Ecco Pro, List Pro.

Generally when you filter you can do it with list or tree results. With list you just get a flat list. With tree you try to put the results into the tree with two key options - to optionally include filtered parents and/or to optionally include children (typically shown with a different style like blue/italics).

d

The late great Ecco Pro solved that question very simply: include the parent items, but gray them out.

Yes, I'm sure that's the best solution, and it could be fudged in script, but it would overwrite any manual colour formatting of the rows.

(Interesting, re Ecco, that markets don't always sustain good software. I miss Agenda even more :-)

Ecco Pro was the best productivity software I have ever used. Unfortunately the company NetManage bought Ecco Pro and killed it. Outliners in general seem to suffer from neglect and/or abandonment (maybe they are not sexy enough?). My feeling is that OO is suffering from the same kind of neglect, seeing as it seems to be last on OG's priority list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yata-Hey View Post
Ecco Pro was the best productivity software I have ever used. Unfortunately the company NetManage bought Ecco Pro and killed it. Outliners in general seem to suffer from neglect and/or abandonment (maybe they are not sexy enough?). My feeling is that OO is suffering from the same kind of neglect, seeing as it seems to be last on OG's priority list.
And unfortunately, while OmniFocus has perspectives, it doesn't have custom columns - even though they had hoped to have it several release ago - http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...&postcount=299.

They have custom columns and they have perspectives, just in different products :/.

In the meantime I am using InfoQube inside Parallels. Amazingly powerful, and the closest to Ecco Pro I have ever seen, but its complex and tricky to use (like Ecco Pro :).

In the meanwhile, FoldingText may lack the excellent column structure of the OmniOutliner model, but it's an interesting example of an outliner with a very powerful (xpath-based) filtering model (still only script-accessible at this stage).