The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Project Notes Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
David Allen talks about the project as a stake in the ground. Something to remind you of where you are going. One way of aiding that is to have notes for your project, things to keep in mind about it, goals for it.

I was wondering how and if people were still able to do this using OmniFocus. Are you keeping a concurrent text file list with such information?

Is there a better way to think about these things? They are not actions, but I want them to be associated with projects.

-MacRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrael View Post
I was wondering how and if people were still able to do this using OmniFocus. Are you keeping a concurrent text file list with such information?

Is there a better way to think about these things? They are not actions, but I want them to be associated with projects.
You can place links in the note field of actions, projects, and singleton lists. You can link to all sorts of things: files, webpages, contacts, images, etc. I frequently link to OmniOutliner files, to webpages, and to Address Book contacts. There is even a way to link to individual email using Mail Tags and Applescript, but I don't use Mail Tags so won't try to explain it.

If you are interested search the forum for "link". Here are two fairly old threads of particular interest because Omni's Ken Case commented:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=4000
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=4204

I don't know where Omni is on developing the links feature, but it (the feature) is still a work in progress AFAIK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhm2006 View Post
You can place links in the note field of actions, projects, and singleton lists. You can link to all sorts of things: files, webpages, contacts, images, etc. I frequently link to OmniOutliner files, to webpages, and to Address Book contacts. There is even a way to link to individual email using Mail Tags and Applescript, but I don't use Mail Tags so won't try to explain it.

If you are interested search the forum for "link". Here are two fairly old threads of particular interest because Omni's Ken Case commented:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=4000
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=4204

I don't know where Omni is on developing the links feature, but it (the feature) is still a work in progress AFAIK.
Can you link to a folder? Because I could envision projects having project folders that contain agendas, support materials, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wealthychef View Post
Can you link to a folder? Because I could envision projects having project folders that contain agendas, support materials, etc.
Sure. Just drag and drop the folder icon into the note field.

If you do a plain drag and drop (or hold down the Option, Command, or Shift keys while you drag and drop), you get a dialog box asking "Do you really want to copy the contents of the dragged items into the text?" with two options: Copy and Alias.

Some people want to copy info into OF so that their OF is more mobile. I prefer links myself. If you want just a link, do a Control drag and drop or choose "Alias" in the dialog box.

Here is some additional information from the July 31 Message of the Day:

"The 'Attach File...' sheet now has a checkbox (defaulting to enabled) for making a link to the file instead of embedding a copy of it in the OmniFocus document. Embedding files in the OmniFocus document is possible, but not desirable unless there is no other alternative (say, if you are copying & pasting images from mail or a web page)."

Last edited by dhm2006; 2007-10-22 at 08:05 AM..