The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniPlan 1.0 vs Merlin 2 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just sent info to my purchasing folks at work to buy me a copy of Merlin 2 which I have been demoing for a while. Please point out some key features of OmiPlan over Merlin 2. I may reconsider my order if OmniPlan proves to be "better". I'd like to really hear from some folks who have used Merlin 2.

Thanks.

We have not done a feature-by-feature comparison of OmniPlan as compared to the other competitive applications on the market. I personally haven't used Merlin 2 enough to accurately compare the two and would be interested in hearing from Merlin users as well. :)

If there are any specific features you're looking for, I would be more than happy to help determine if OmniPlan will meet your needs.

I love Omni's software and use a lot of it, but I must admit to preferring Merlin 2 over OmniPlan.

My experience is more with Merlin that OmniPlan, so it is possible that some of these things are due to my lack of familiarity with the Omni software, but I see Merlin 2's advantages as:
* Better graphics for the GANTT chart presentation
* Very nice Net Plan feature
* Better (though not perfect) MS Project import results
* Better reporting

As I say, some of this is partly familiarity too - I've used Merlin 1.x and got used to the way it works. OmniPlan works a little differently and so I've perhaps got an in-built bias against it. Both seem to be very capable project management tools.

I’m fairly new to both programs, and so far I have to say that Merlin 2 seems to be a more mature, more comprehensive application.
I love the OMNI group and their apps, and I did purchase OMNIPlan. Hopefully we’ll see improvements and more features.

A few highlights so far:

Tutorial
OP: OK. In the Manual.
Merlin: Good. In the Manual.
FTS9: Great. Eleven tutorials and practice files, plus tutorial pdf.

Even with OP’s simple example, as a new user it was time consuming figuring out what had to be done in order for the tutorial file to look like the screenshots. For example, ‘Connect Tasks with Dependency Lines.’

Manual:
OP: OK
Merlin: Good. Some language errors but it is fun and easy to understand for the most part.
FTS: Great. Printed manual plus many pdf files.

In OP the screenshots have no reference number, and sometimes no explanation as to how to achieve them.
Disclaimer: I have not read 100% of the manuals, but I guess I’ve read at least 50% of each one.

Importing (mainly Microsoft files):
OP: OK
Merlin: Good
FTS: Great

OP sometimes does not import the hierarchy of certain tasks. It also shows some errors and changes settings such as start ASAP.

Display:
OP: Poor
Merlin: Great
FTS: Good

I love Merlin’s interface. While FTS interface is not that modern looking, it allows me to view more than one time-scale at a time. For example, I can view Quarters and Months and Weeks at the same time. Merlin also has a similar feature. I haven’t found this in OP.

Features:
OP: Poor
Merlin: Great. I love the integration with NovaMind for example.
FTS: Great

Perhaps I haven’t found the great features in OP. Again, I love OMNI and their programs, but this one is often not intuitive and can actually be frustrating.

Support:
OP: Great. They have ninjas, you know :)
Merlin: Great
FTS: I have no idea.

I could write a couple of paragraphs for each highlight, but people tend to prefer summaries, and I’m tired :)

OP is in its first incarnation. I do hope to see it mature and become a great program, and hopefully before there’s a paid upgrade :D

I don’t know how it compares with iTaskX, since my demo expired a while ago.

I compared both programs, and a handful of others, prior to purchasing OP. In the end, OP and Merlin were my two favorites, and I eventually decided on OP.

In short, I found OP to be the easiest to use intuitively, although I am still stuck on how to do a few particular things.

Merlin seemed to have more functionality, but I didn't like the interface as well. Maybe someday I will regret this choice to favor easy-of-use over functionality, but for now I'm happy with it.

FWIW, I did notice that Merlin will open OP native files directly, but I couldn't get OP to open Merlin's native files. Should I ever wish to switch to Merlin (and I hope Omni will be able to persuade me to stay), it appears I will be able to covert my data over.

OP allows you to grab hold of your gantt chart and shape it in a way that no other package has allowed before. You are not tied to the inspector or the outline to create and update plans. This dynamic alone makes OP stand out and takes PM software usability into the world of the Mac UI the way it should be.

Elementary functionality and a few bugs aside, its the best tool I've used in the last ten years for shaping complex programmes. It does not yet cope well with 10,000+ lines and associated details of mature plans, but I'm highly optimistic about is future development.

My single biggest gripe is the application's performance... crikey it's slow on my PowerBook (1.33GHz + 1.5GB)... even with only a few hundred lines in a plan! Merlin wins hands down in this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprewitt
I compared both programs, and a handful of others, prior to purchasing OP. In the end, OP and Merlin were my two favorites, and I eventually decided on OP.

In short, I found OP to be the easiest to use intuitively, although I am still stuck on how to do a few particular things.

Merlin seemed to have more functionality, but I didn't like the interface as well. Maybe someday I will regret this choice to favor easy-of-use over functionality, but for now I'm happy with it.

FWIW, I did notice that Merlin will open OP native files directly, but I couldn't get OP to open Merlin's native files. Should I ever wish to switch to Merlin (and I hope Omni will be able to persuade me to stay), it appears I will be able to covert my data over.
Hi,

I saw the above comment before I tried Merlin2 and OP, and it was something I'd not thought of as important.

However, since both export to .MPX it was easy to export and re-open from one to the other.
My tester project wasn't very complex, but things seemed to be ok - except colour changes in OP weren't carried to M2.

I'm sure someone with both could do a more detailed test to make sure things are ok, not just seem ok to my untrained eye.

Peter

Hi,

At this time, I'm testing both OP and M2, to see where my money should go.

Although OP and M2 both appear to have the same level of functionality for my level of use [not very serious, or for very complex and demanding projects], OP seems to be much easier to use - the screen is less cluttered, making it much easier to work with and easier to see what's going on, and OP seems to have more than enough ability to be used in a professional, busy environment [even at this early stage of its development].

However, the one thing I do find missing from OP is the level of zoom - I'd like to be able to see the detail at the 15 minute level, or even the 1 hour level.

But it's just not there, and it is the only thing that M2 does that I find missing from OP.

So, please allow more detailed zooming in OP, OmniGuys !! [<- FEATURE REQUEST]

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprewitt
Merlin seemed to have more functionality
Hopefully OmniPlan will eventually catch up :D

http://www.merlin2.net/spezifikationen.html

http://www.merlin2.net/features/views.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep
So, please allow more detailed zooming in OP, OmniGuys !! [<- FEATURE REQUEST]
We have a feature request for this, so I'll add another vote to it for you. :)