The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

unclear on Dropbox use Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I used to sync my Omnifocus with my iPhone. For various reasons, I had to swtich to an Android and no longer use the syncing feature of Omnifocus.

I do use Omnifocus to store a LOT of data and I'm considering using Dropbox to store a back-up version of OF so that if something ever happened to my Mac
-- destroyed
-- stolen
-- hard drive crash

... I'd still have access to a somewhat recent version of my OF data file. (and any other pertinent files like settings or perspectives, too)

Can I use Dropbox for this purpose?
If yes, could you please tell me what files to periodically copy over to Dropbox so that if I needed to recover my info... I'd have everything there, at least up to the point where that Drop Box was done.

Thanks so much!
Leila

The easiest approach might be to simply tell OmniFocus to write its backups to a directory in your Dropbox. Then you don't have to worry about it, and you'll get a backup at least once per day. You will have to prune your backups occasionally, though, as OmniFocus just keeps writing them...

Otherwise, File->Export... choosing OmniFocus Backup Document as the file format and saving to your Dropbox should do what you need on a one-shot basis.

Great. Thanks. I like the idea of the daily back-up being stored there just in case.

PS In my "housekeeping" area of OF, I have a task that comes up every 2 months that reminds me to delete the extra back-ups.