The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Need some help with my sync time Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Partial update on this: we've discovered that the iPhone OS will shut down an iPhone's Wi-Fi connection after 30 seconds pass without any taps on the phone's screen. Apple made this change with the intent of preserving battery life on the phone. Since iPod Touches only have WiFi, they don't have this behavior.

One consequence of this change in the OS is that an OmniFocus sync that starts on wifi may end up finishing on the slower cellphone network.

In this specific case battery life is particularly important to the customer; if the 3G radio on the phone is disabled, WiFi will drop in favor of the (much slower) EDGE network.

I don't think this accounts fully for what Nicolas was seeing, but it's a contributing factor.

I'm unsure how/if the dev team will change OmniFocus in response to this discovery, but we weren't aware of this and wouldn't have figured it out without his help. At the very least, I figured a public thank you for his assistance was in order. :-)

Last edited by Brian; 2009-12-15 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: word tweakage for purposes of gratitude emphasis/amplification. :-)

Ah, that explains why I've had so much success with this tactic, and others haven't! Seems pretty obvious now that we know about it, eh? :)

I hope this serves as an illustration for all those reluctant to contact the support ninjas of the good things that happen when people having problems take the time to do so!

Thanks a lot for your help Brian, the support Omni Group provides is the best I have ever experienced :)

About the second part of my problem, my strange database.

I went through the process of making an entirely new database, entered all the tasks again, and it took a long long time, but it seems like it was worth it.

For the first time since I started using OF I actually get "normal" sync times (10-35 secs), it seems like there was "something" inside the old database slowing it down.

I talked to another guy with the same problem and that had solved his problem as well.

Did you happen to keep a copy of the old database?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Did you happen to keep a copy of the old database?
Yes I actually did, why? :)

Because comparison of the old and new might reveal why one was slow and the other not, if the reason was related to the database.