The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Memory leak? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case
One of the bugs in my queue is to look at the memory usage for OmniWeb so this is definately something we will be investigating.
Thanks Len. This is why I purchased a license: trust that you'll fix issues that arise and listen to users.

PS The activity monitor just posted a 268 MB allocation of memory to OW. If this is in fact accurate, I am somewhat concerned, though I profess to not understanding exactly how OS X allocates memory either. The system did not grind to a halt, but the usage nevertheless appears rather high.

Last edited by daiyi666@yahoo.com; 2006-08-21 at 09:43 PM..

unfortunately for me, OW has been hogging so many resources and crashing so much as a result, that I have just recalled Safari from retirement. I often leave things going for days at a time. I finally realised that OW was eating up memory and sometimes CPU until my intel iMac was behaving like my G3 iMac! Please do something about it because I'd grown to love the GUI and features.......

I must say the same is happening to me: I reboot my PB every once in a while (usually once or twice a month) and after a couple of days OW starts to eat up resources, then becomes unresponsive and finally crashes. Any clues?

Usually, OW sits on 300-400MB of RAM, but don't eat much CPU. Unfortunately, when I have it running for a few days it sometimes starts to use 50% CPU even if it is idle...

The CPU hogging is a known issue. If you can find pages/sites that crank the CPU way up, use the Feedback option within OW to send a link to the OG.

Sites with a lot of Flash (eg, Google Video) and JavaScript are often culprits. 5.5.1 should fix a lot of the issues.

As far as RAM usage goes, keep track of how much RAM OW is actually using, not what's allocated to it (eg, what Activity Monitor shows.) The OG recently stated OW has been tested for memory leaks and there aren't any.

the 5.5.1 beta 1 looks to be even slower and using more memory. it has increased till 141 Mb of RAM ! for exactly the same pages on the 5.5 it is already around 100 Mb of RAM and Safari with exactly the same pages open plus using Safari Stand it's only 25~30 Mb and Camino around 40~45 Mb.

(And to upload this picture with ImageShack it was almost intantaneous with Camino while I'm still waiting under OmniWeb at the moment I post this message.)

I tried with this pages together only.
http://www.tvtv.fr/cgi-bin/WebObjects/EPGfr.woa
http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Last edited by m-rick; 2006-10-26 at 01:58 PM..

Is it actually using 141MB or does it have 141MB? (Or are you using a tool which lets you see the difference?) I've had OW have over 1GB allocated to it before. Not a big issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
Is it actually using 141MB or does it have 141MB? (Or are you using a tool which lets you see the difference?) I've had OW have over 1GB allocated to it before. Not a big issue.
No it's not actually, but in comparaison on the same pages it can increase till 141 Mb, i use the Activity Monitor.