The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Is it possible to hide a canvas? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Scenario:
I'm working on a project with 10 wireframes. I've got something decent enough to show on 7 on them, but the other 3 I'm still working on. They're filled with notes, boxes lying everywhere.

Everyday I need to distribute work-in-progress on the wireframes.

Current Solution:
Select the 7 wireframe canvases, choose Export... --> Export Area: Current Selection.

Problems with current solution:
I often need to create PDF:s really quickly. "Hey, could you just send me an update on this real quick before you leave (train leaving in five minutes)/before the meeting (allready late to meeting). I'd love to not have to think when I do that export.

Also, It'd be great for my own sake to see what documents are in a presentable state whilst I work with the project.

Suggested Solution:
Make it possible to alt-click a canvas and Hide/Unhide. Behaviour like in Powerpoint.

You know what, actually forget about this... after some thinking, coffee and gingerbread cookies I've realized that it's a lot better to hide the layers on the canvas, so that there's an empty placeholder canvas in the exported PDF.

I have the same question.

I keep some running notes and diagrams in another canvas and want to hide them when I save to a PDF. I've started ordering the canvases so the items I want to export are all together and I can just print those particular canvases and save as a PDF, but hiding them would be easier.

Omni Group? Any way to hide canvases now or in future planned release?

Might happen in a future release, we do have an existing feature request for it, so I'd encourage sending in feedback to omnigraffle@omnigroup.com to officially cast a vote for it.

One solution that might work as well if not better, would be if the don't-print-this-layer-option would also mean don't-include-this-layer-when-exporting-to-PDF.

At least in my view, what I do when exporting to PDF or printing is essentially the same - I need to show the current state of my work to a non-designer person.

I actually initially thought that my suggested behavior was the way it already worked.

Last edited by sefr0; 2009-11-16 at 05:13 AM.. Reason: grammar.

You can achieve this by printing to PDF rather than exporting to PDF. Bottom left of the Print dialog.

Mark