The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OF 1.7 Perspective Problems Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Although I am very new to Omnifocus I have downloaded the 1.7 sneak peak. Like others I have lost previous Perspectives but as I am still learning the ropes of Omnifocus I thought I would just recreate the few that I had been playing around with, but although I can go through the steps and create them, they are not stable. ie when I return to the default view and then reapply the new perspective, it limits the projects to those defined in the Perspective but does not limit the contexts.

I have backed up the database, quitted and restarted the program, deleted and recreated the perspectives (again) but still contexts are not retained within the personal perspectives view.

I could be making some elementary mistake, but I am following the steps as outlined in the Screencasts tutorial, so is there something that i am missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
Although I am very new to Omnifocus I have downloaded the 1.7 sneak peak. Like others I have lost previous Perspectives but as I am still learning the ropes of Omnifocus I thought I would just recreate the few that I had been playing around with, but although I can go through the steps and create them, they are not stable. ie when I return to the default view and then reapply the new perspective, it limits the projects to those defined in the Perspective but does not limit the contexts.

I have backed up the database, quitted and restarted the program, deleted and recreated the perspectives (again) but still contexts are not retained within the personal perspectives view.

I could be making some elementary mistake, but I am following the steps as outlined in the Screencasts tutorial, so is there something that i am missing?
The idea is that it should be easier to set things up, which clearly isn't the case right now. Watch for new versions and give it another shot when you seem Perspective fixes go through and let us know if things improve.

We're very interested in making the process as smooth as possible for a new user, so you're the perfect kind of person to test, and your impressions help a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
The thinking here is that, rather than have a setting in the perspective on new-window-opening, you can hold down the option key while bringing up any perspective to open it in a new window. This should work from the menu, or from a toolbar button.

Slightly different approach than we've taken in the past, but we feel like this is simpler overall. Does it work for your purposes once you've gotten used to it?
Brian,

That works for me, but then there is a bug where 1.6.1 perspectives remember there new-window settings even though there is no UI to change it. It seems like a default of open-in-same-window, with option to create a new window would make sense if it were consistent across all perspectives.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Brian,

That works for me, but then there is a bug where 1.6.1 perspectives remember there new-window settings even though there is no UI to change it. It seems like a default of open-in-same-window, with option to create a new window would make sense if it were consistent across all perspectives.
That is the intended default. Filing the fact that that isn't the case.

Now I have had to upgrade my other computer to this beta version as it is incompatible with the previous version - syncing caused the program to crash and refuse to reopen. So by default I will have a good play around with 1.7 and let you know if it is simpler for newbies to work with as you hoped.

Obviously, with the problems that are happening with Perspectives, it is more difficult for me to judge if it is a cleaner, more intuitive interface but I will do my best. I shall install later versions if they address those problems.

I presume that when I restore 1.6.1 from Time Machine or redownload from your site, that syncing using the iPhone app as the source will allow me to recreate an up-to-date version of actions/projects/contexts? Or will I have to use an older backup from Time Machine and manually make those changes that have occurred since?

Sandra

Sandi, the OmniFocus application and your OmniFocus database are stored in two separate locations, and the changes we made to the App won't affect your data at all. I've actually been running both versions on my machine here for a couple of weeks.

(There was a bug that could cause OmniFocus 1.6.0 to crash after 1.7 had worked with the database; maybe that's what you encountered?)

I also synced OmniFocus 1.7 (from work) with OmniFocus 1.6.1 (at home) until today. Didn't notice any problems with my data during that period. Basically, if you reinstall the OmniFocus 1.6.1 application from our website or from Time Machine, you should be able to pick up right where you left off.

Just don't let Time Machine touch any of the files in your Documents or Library folders and you should be okay.

Last edited by Brian; 2009-08-14 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: correct typo, add info about 1.6.0 vs. 1.6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I also synced OmniFocus 1.7 (from work) with OmniFocus 1.6.1 (at home) until today. Didn't notice any problems with my data during that period.
You can sync 1.7 with 1.6.1 as long as you don't apply a custom user icon to a perspective. If you do, 1.7 stores the icon as an attachment, which causes 1.6.1 to crash because it can't figure out what's supposed to own that attachment (since it doesn't know about syncing perspectives).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
You can sync 1.7 with 1.6.1 as long as you don't apply a custom user icon to a perspective. If you do, 1.7 stores the icon as an attachment, which causes 1.6.1 to crash because it can't figure out what's supposed to own that attachment (since it doesn't know about syncing perspectives).
Okay, that explains my problems as I had assigned custom icons to some of my perspectives. So if I use standard icons within Omnifocus that sync/crash problem between 1.6.1 and 1.7 should not happen?

BTW I did like the syncing of Perspectives between my Mac and MBP. Having spent ages setting them up in one place it was nice to see that work replicated on the other machine.

Had problems with syncing with iPhone where it lost all settings on MobileMe and removed all data from the phone but it appears to have found the database now and reimported all the information. Syncing is much quicker which is a bonus.

Have tried to revert to 1.6.1 on one machine so that I can compare versions, as I was not au fait enough with program to comment if something was better or not. But even using standard icon for a custom perspective caused the program to crash and refuse to open. Trying to revert to 1.6.1 on both machines caused crashes on both, so now I am trying to recover my database.

Sandi

Last edited by Sandi; 2009-08-15 at 12:14 AM.. Reason: Update situation with crashing and restoring data

I restored my Perspectives using Time Machine, went back to 1.6.1, Perspectives worked, installed .1.7 (v77.32.0.117233), Perspectives are gone. Perspectives files still exist in my Perspectives folder. (Ticket to OG updated.)

Bob

Just went from 161 to 1.7 rev 117233 and my Perspectives were lost.