The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feature Request: Time display Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Couple of things I've thought of after dinking around for a while:

1. I would really like to have months also shown (by name) in the Quarter zoom level, and quarters shown in the Year zoom. The lines are not sufficient for quick reads.
2. I'd like to be able to use keyboard combos to zoom in and out and zoom to fit. Preferably cmd+/-, though I know Omni uses those for text sizing in OG, and uses cmd-ctrl+/-. Either way, zooming in and out I do quite a lot, it would be great to have a keyboard combo.
3. I'd like a "jump to today" capability, like cmd-T in Entourage. Also some keyboard commands to page sideways would be great, or just allowing the use of the spacebar as a grab hand, like in any graphics app. Anything to help those of us who are not full time PM's and use graphics apps for most of our day make this feel as fluid as possible.
4. I'd like a way to easily and clearly tell when I'm in the past. There is a line that shows "today" of course, but if you are zoomed in on a complex project it's sometimes hard to instantly tell where you are. Coloring the background of the past would be an easy cue and help you know which way to scroll with zero effort. For example:

Adam

1. OmniPlan > Preferences > Display (kinda buggy though!)
2. Request noted. Possible workaround: drag left or right on the header portion of the gantt view. Left zooms out, right zooms in.
3 and 4. Ideas worth considering. I'll file them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard
1. OmniPlan > Preferences > Display (kinda buggy though!)
I have to admit I find this dialog box really confusing, I have no idea what it's doing or how I manipulate it to get what I want. Can you clarify it? What I'm looking for is having both the quarters displayed and the month names, not one replacing the other. Best I can get it to do is to add the name of the beginning month of the quarter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard
2. Request noted. Possible workaround: drag left or right on the header portion of the gantt view. Left zooms out, right zooms in.
That's cool! Didn't realize you could do that. It's great to have more fine grained zoom control than what the magnifying glass icon gives you. This definitely needs to be made more obvious.

Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrichardson
Couple of things I've thought of after dinking around for a while:

2. I'd like to be able to use keyboard combos to zoom in and out and zoom to fit...
+1 :)

Quote:
3. I'd like a "jump to today" capability, like cmd-T in Entourage. Also some keyboard commands to page sideways would be great, or just allowing the use of the spacebar as a grab hand, like in any graphics app.
Absolutely agree with all of those, esp. the space-bar Hand tool, tho side-scrolling via the trackpad and scroll-wheel is also good.

One option might be that when the cursor is over the Gantt chart the arrow keys could scroll sideways, or there could simply be a direct menu shortcut for scrolling in increments of the current scale.

Another important addition would be scrolling to show Gantt bars, when the active selection is in the Task pane, scrolling vertically through the list. As the selection switches to an item whose Gantt chart bar is out of the current Gantt pane view, the item would be scrolled into view.

Quote:
4. I'd like a way to easily and clearly tell when I'm in the past... For example:
I couldn't agree more strongly, and your mock-up shows why it's necessary, it removes ambiguity from progress against actual time, and provides valuable 'at a glance' info (tho it mightn't need to be quite so strong.) ;)

I might go for a light grey overlay atop what ever background colour/image the user specified.

Last edited by marc; 2006-08-02 at 08:17 AM..

Quote:
I have to admit I find this dialog box really confusing, I have no idea what it's doing or how I manipulate it to get what I want. Can you clarify it? What I'm looking for is having both the quarters displayed and the month names, not one replacing the other. Best I can get it to do is to add the name of the beginning month of the quarter.
Adam
In the month scale, you could set it to display the month and the quarter. But for whatever scale you're in, you only get one heading per time period.
A few other people have asked for something close to this, so I'll add your notes to the feature request.