The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

$40? Seriously? [OmniFocus for iPad Pricing Feedback] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
We're not going to charge for the features that are currently there. We may add more stuff in the future and charge for that at some point, but one of the things we've learned is that the cost to run the server is low enough that we can give access away.
Excellent news!

Quote:
We're not going to charge for the features that are currently there. We may add more stuff in the future and charge for that at some point, but one of the things we've learned is that the cost to run the server is low enough that we can give access away.
That's excellent news!

I will be willing to pay for extra service (e.g., forwarding email to server for new entry, etc. etc.) though.

Quote:
Yay! I don't really have any use for Mobileme (happy with Google's free services) and the native OTA syncing sounds great.

I didn't want to make a new topic for this but it looks like you got some new competition from another todo app in the app store and the web. I won't say who it is but it looks like they are charging for a yearly web service access and syncing vs upgrades. I still really like Omnifocus though but as long as you guys come out with constant upgrades (and reasonable software upgrade prices) I'll continue being a user :)

Omnifocus has bought itself several times over for me since I bought it. Appigo Todo was good but to me it doesn't compare.

I'd have paid twice what they charged.

I, initially, paused when I saw the price tag. I'd used OF on my PowerBook for a while but I found that I didn't use it enough because it wasn't really portable. I started using a Moleskine instead because at least that was with me when I thought of stuff that needed doing.

When I got my iPod Touch I got Toodledoo and was happy to have a digital to do list again and be able to use contexts. When I got my iPad I was using it scaled up until they made it Universal. I checked for OF all the time. I got Todo and really liked it. So much better than Toodledoo!! Then, when OF came out, I was bummed to see it was so "expensive." I wondered if I would really get so much more out of it to justify the cost.

Yesterday I downloaded OF and started using it today. I work as a high school Activities Director. At any given time I have at least four projects in various stages of production. I have to constantly look forward to next month, next year. The projects have lots of details and are time sensitive. I have an awful memory, to boot, and am easily distracted.

To me, the ability to use OF the way I want, to nest projects within folders, to reorder projects at will, that alone has freed me up to think less about what I need to get done anfpd more about what i'm doing. But, I have a feeling that the Forecast and Review are only going to push me further.

What sold me was the 30 day money back guarantee. However, I have a feeling that I won't be exercising that option. I think I would have missed Todo already but I didn't. Not at all. I have a feeling that my use of OF will be come more automatic as time goes on.

Is OF expensive? No. Forty bucks is just not that much money. Compared to a game that I play for half an hour? Maybe. I think the app store makes it look like all apps should be $5 or less. I admit, i'll even occassionally agonize over a game that is $2.99 until I realize that's less that a couple coffee's at St*arbucks.

I don't make more money based on how well I do my job, per se. But, it's a stressful job and if OF makes me better and happier, then I guess that's worth $40. OF is really great if you have multiple projects with varied actions required. If you can make due with a simpler todo list then you should do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi View Post
Final Cut Pro and Aperture have upgrade pricing. I think only their inexpensive software doesn't have upgrade pricing.
Thanks gopi, I'd forgotten about those. :o

I guess my expectation is still for upgrade pricing regardless of initial cost, I think less of Apple for requiring purchasers of iLife to fork out the full amount each time, even simple utilities that I've bought for a few bucks via Kagi have always offered a discount for owners of previous versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi View Post
I absolutely despise the lack of upgrade pricing on the App Store. I've seen too many nifty apps just drop away. I feel like the authors would keep updating if there was a clearly defined incentive.
I too find it incomprehensible that Apple hasn't offered upgrade pricing on the App Store, especially as it is obvious that they already have the facility to do so.

None of the workarounds that other developers are using, such as feature unlocking via In App Purchase or subscriptions seem really applicable to OmniFocus. I guess one way would be for Omni to offer a promo code for a free download to everyone who emails in an iTunes receipt for OF purchased in the previous 90 days that fell prior to the release of a new full version.

The committed GTD's probably won't complain about having to repurchase as most appear to feel that OF recoups any cost after saving them a few hours.

Those customers that bought it as a task manager (iPad) or a (shopping) list app (iPhone) would I guess be pretty disgruntled at having to rebuy.

Mr. Job's "price competitively, go for volume" is beginning to sound less like advice and more like a threat!

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-10-05 at 04:36 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheQ View Post
I guess my expectation is still for upgrade pricing regardless of initial cost, I think less of Apple for requiring purchasers of iLife to fork out the full amount each time, even simple utilities that I've bought for a few bucks via Kagi have always offered a discount for owners of previous versions.
iLife is only USD$80 and Final Cut Pro is USD$1000. There is arguably the same development cost spent on both products each quarter.

If you want to pay $1000 for iLife so that you only have to pay $500 next year when iLife 'nn is released, I think you should email that suggestion to Steve Jobs right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheQ View Post
Those customers that bought it as a task manager (iPad) or a (shopping) list app (iPhone) would I guess be pretty disgruntled at having to rebuy.
Ths ppl r nt nl dts, bt thy r ls a cmpltly ncnsqntl sbst f "cstmrs" nd "srs".

Last edited by Brian; 2010-10-05 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: Ad-hominem disemvoweled.

Reminder: please don't engage in ad hominem attacks on our forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emory View Post
iLife is only USD$80 and Final Cut Pro is USD$1000. There is arguably the same development cost spent on both products each quarter.

If you want to pay $1000 for iLife so that you only have to pay $500 next year when iLife 'nn is released, I think you should email that suggestion to Steve Jobs right away.
Hi Emory,

Omni offers upgrade pricing, at less than 50% of the original purchase, for OmniOutliner (only $39.95, upgrade $19.95) and OmniGraffle (only $99.95, upgrade $39.95). Do you expect this not to be the case for OmniFocus? Apologies if I've misunderstood your point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emory View Post
Ths ppl r nt nl dts, bt thy r ls a cmpltly ncnsqntl sbst f "cstmrs" nd "srs".
Fortunately I read this before it got disemvoweled otherwise I'd have been well :confused: !

I'd agree, except that Omni obviously does target such 'customers' and 'users' in the UK App Store at least. As I pointed out in a previous post, there's no mention of GTD anywhere in Omni's App Store blurb but plenty about task management and lists including the shopping kind!

Have a look at the attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OF1.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	1611   Click image for larger version

Name:	OF5.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	1612  

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-10-06 at 12:14 AM..