The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

To Do and Note Taking - A great combination Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by blysik View Post
All they have to do is merge OmniOutliner and OmniFocus. Or somehow let them interoperate together very nicely.
Those are the components, exactly. The immediacy of doing a single tap that indicates a not I just took in OO is an OF task would be golden. This should be easier, as OO is not as free form as Evernote, so identifying a particular row in OO as a feed to OF should be easier.

With all the other features and strength of both applications, this tying together should be sufficiently compelling for people to shell money for both (you get so much more than just the ability to take notes and keep a task list, but it's this tying in of the two that will be compelling enough to "make the move.").

So yes, Omni Group - here is a chance for a killer app (mini suite).

I've *sort of* got this done.

I take my notes on my iPad using OOipad. I have three columns in OOipad - item, due and who. If there is an action item, it will have a "who" and maybe a "due".

Then I save this to my iDisk.

When I get back to the office, I open the outline with OOmac. I select only the OO cells that have action items (apple-click). I then have an applescript that will convert each action item (cell) in OOmac to an action in the quick entry box of OFmac. I add the context, project and any other information and save.

But, I agree, it would be superb to denote an action item in OOipad and have that linked to OFipad and then have it all sync to the mac so that it would be preserved there as well. That would be awesome.

J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry View Post
Adding note taking will add complexity and bloat to OF. While it's not as outlandish as the mail client suggestion, it's still not a core function of task management.
A better feature would be integration with Omni's other apps so data can be shared between them.
Couldn't agree more. I don't want to keep notes in OF, I prefer it to be restricted to GTD methodology for Tasks and Projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffAirey View Post
Couldn't agree more. I don't want to keep notes in OF, I prefer it to be restricted to GTD methodology for Tasks and Projects.
Yes, but I would very much want my action items to be harvested from my notes and turned into actions in OF. Also of interest (although I understand the difficulties) would be to be able to see the status of the action when reviewing the notes. So greater integration between apps like OO and OF would be fantastic.

J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
I've *sort of* got this done.

I take my notes on my iPad using OOipad. I have three columns in OOipad - item, due and who. If there is an action item, it will have a "who" and maybe a "due".

Then I save this to my iDisk.

When I get back to the office, I open the outline with OOmac. I select only the OO cells that have action items (apple-click). I then have an applescript that will convert each action item (cell) in OOmac to an action in the quick entry box of OFmac. I add the context, project and any other information and save.

But, I agree, it would be superb to denote an action item in OOipad and have that linked to OFipad and then have it all sync to the mac so that it would be preserved there as well. That would be awesome.

J.
John, I would love to see your scripts - are they posted anywhere? What I thought of doing is something like what you describe (am getting into using AppleScript for personal purposes). My thought was to have a checkbox column that will indicate that a particular line is a task. Once in OF for the Mac, the script could be run and have a selection formula to run only against the rows that have the task checbox checked. Once the task is generated in OF, I would grab the URI and stick it in the OO row (either in a column of its own or maybe appending it to the Note section, so that I could refer from the OO row to the OF task).

Regards!

ActionNotes pleasantly surprised me. You can turn any item into a todo or hilight any item...or both. It would be nice if it liked to OF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlad View Post
John, I would love to see your scripts - are they posted anywhere? What I thought of doing is something like what you describe (am getting into using AppleScript for personal purposes). My thought was to have a checkbox column that will indicate that a particular line is a task. Once in OF for the Mac, the script could be run and have a selection formula to run only against the rows that have the task checbox checked. Once the task is generated in OF, I would grab the URI and stick it in the OO row (either in a column of its own or maybe appending it to the Note section, so that I could refer from the OO row to the OF task).

Regards!
Here you go:

Code:
tell front document of application "OmniOutliner Professional"
	-- set theDoc to front document
	--set columnCount to count of columns of theDoc

set theList to the selected rows
	set theCount to (count of selected rows)
	if theCount < 1 then
		display dialog "You need to select at least one row to use this script." buttons "Cancel" default button "Cancel"
	end if

-- go through each selected row in OmniOutliner and then create a corresponding
	-- action in the quick entry box of OF

set actionText to ""
	repeat with i from 1 to theCount

set actionText to (get topic of item i of selected rows)

-- create a new action in Omnifocus QuickEntry window

tell application "OmniFocus"
			-- create new action
			tell quick entry
				open
				set NewTask to make new inbox task with properties {name:actionText}
			end tell
		end tell
	end repeat
end tell
How this works:

Put this script in your scripts folder for OmniOutliner Pro. Open an outline and then highlight the rows that you want to become actions in OF. Invoke the script from the scripts menu in your finder bar. The quick entry window will pop up with a line for each action. Add the contexts and dates and save.

Note, you can select a discontinuous selection of rows in OO by using the command key in concert with clicking. Shift clicking gets continuous selections of rows.

At some point, I'm going to add a section where this looks for a column called "due" and puts that in as the due date. I might do the same thing for contexts at some point. Right now, this works pretty well and makes very short work of setting up the actions.

J.